Loggings > Utility

HSW Bangkok Meteorological Radio 6765.1 & 8743 khz 15:30 UTC 20 Oct

(1/4) > >>

jasmine:
Bangkok Meteo with musical interval tones & weather in English and Thai. I pick this up most mornings on 6765.1 but this is the first time I've picked it up on 8743 where it is booming in at an S6 (6765.1 is only at an S4). BTW: I can hear NOAA's weather broadcast via the US Coast Guard's Chesapeake (NMN) station on 8764 but it is weak by comparison, only an S3-S4.

I also have a question about the musical interval tones for Josh or anyone who knows. They seem much stronger than the USB voice, similar to the SELCAL tones on HF aero frequencies. Are Bangkok Meteo's music tones generated the same way as SELCAL tones, as a separate mode?

Josh:
I've never heard the tones myself, but imagine those tones are prerecorded, so their resultant level of modulation may not be the same as the selcal tones. Also, if the intro tones are single tones, not mixing products as with selcal tones, they may appear to be stronger as the energy is concentrated in that single tone where the selcal tones spread the same total energy between the mixing tones. Just an idear.

:D

jasmine:
That totally makes sense. If you'd like me to make a recording of the tones or anything else i come across let me know. i'm still trying to find the best way to make a simple audio (not IQ) recording from SDRUno. I may use a different SDR app like HDSDR or SDR Console to do so.

Treehouse SWL:
Thanks for the heads-up that Bangkok was audible here near Seattle during the 1500 UTC hour. Somehow, I'd not tuned into this station since I resumed shortwave listening a year and a half ago.

I tuned in this morning at 1547 UTC, and both frequencies were audible, though 8743 was the better of the two by a little at the time and much better than the lower frequency by 1635 UTC. And you're right: Those musical tones cut through the noise floor way better than the rather monotone male and female voices.

Is this one really 1,000 watts? That's the only power I find listed.

Josh:
On what apps to use with a RSP, I prefer HDSDR if only a single channel is so be monitored, with SDRuno following closely. Nothing beats HDSDR for simplicity as well as for low cpu usage, but I find SDRuno to have the best agc and audio at the cost of high cpu usage and utter complexity.

For multiple VRX work, SDR Console is my goto as it is very foolproof, very stable, great aduio and agc action, and much reduced cpu usage compared to the same number of VRX in SDRuno. SDRuno sure looks great tho.

On recording, any app should be able to make good audio frequency recordings. Considering a max bandwidth of say 3kHz for a single ssb channel, you only need an 8kHz recording rate, making for tiny files so you can pack more on a disk. For voice recording, audio freq is best, for digital modes, IQ recording would be better but take up a bit more disk space.

Some guys go hog wild like the NSA and record entire swaths of spectrum as IQ, saving it to disks, a few gb or more for a few hours recording is typical for a hobbyist. I imagine the NSA and its counterparts worldwide go through a few hard drives. I prefer to have the audio recording always on, and have it on a loop so it overwrites as time goes on, this way I have a copy of what ever of interest pops up without running out of disk space. A dedicated drive is a plus, and I still prefer ludite spinning metal to the bleeding edge solid state (aka flash) drives for reliability.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version