We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: CWB - Central Weather Bureau, Taipei, Taiwan 8117 khz USB 14:50 UTC 22 Oct  (Read 1772 times)

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
  • Riding the (electromagnetic) waves...
    • View Profile
Another morning another meteo. I never heard this one before today though I have listened for it based on what Josh said about how this is a kind of weird time of year for propagation. It is coming in at just above an S3 on my antenna and SDR.
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Nice! I can't recall the name of the station(s) but it was an RRI or some other rare (in the US) station the "expert" dxers listened for like for a whole week, within a specific few hours to get it, and it would come in at like S9 for a few minutes and then be gone till next year. These nerds guys were happy if they got a carrier. And this is that same magical time of year.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Matt285

Nice catch! You guys/girls on the West coast def get some stations that we don't commonly get. Guess it goes both ways though.

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
Finally heard this one at 1550 UTC this morning with just my Eton's whip antenna on the deck of our flooded-out house, where there's not as much local interference noise as there is in our temporary rental place. Heard a female voice in Chinese on 8117 USB.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop