We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Recorder suggestions  (Read 2493 times)

Offline jimbooregon

• View Profile
    • Email
Recorder suggestions
« on: October 28, 2019, 0716 UTC »
Hi all,
I started looking at recorders for my DX R8E setup and became quickly bewildered.  I haven't bought a (tape) recorder in 40 years, so...
I don't use my radio in conjunction with the PC, so I want something to patch into the radio and later download to the PC to share my catches. Are the hand held voice recorders the way to go? What features to look for? Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. I've Googled the questions but only come up with PC based solutions.
Thanks in advance.
cheers
Jim

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Recorder suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 1352 UTC »
I've used a Zoom H2 for years. Great device. Probably newer models available now.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 1638 UTC »
The Tascam DR-05 might work for you.  Its about $100, makes decent ambient recording as well.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 1752 UTC »
Yeah, I'd go with the Zoom H2 as well. When a starting up LPFM station asked if I could do a metal show for them in 2015, I mostly did it old school, with CD DJ decks, MinDisc decks, prerecorded downloads, etc. The 21st Century thing that I used the computer for was Zara Radio automation software for my jingles and back ground music. Anyway, I fed all that through a mixer and the output of that went to the LINE IN of my Zoom H2, where I used the STUDIO LIMIT function. I used 128kbps MP3, where 1hr = 55MB file length. Then I'd USB transferred to a Linux base computer to do any post edits with Audacity. Then, when I like the final product and timings, uploaded to an FTP free site. (Which I'm having trouble finding today.) 5 years ago FTP sites were numerous, and anyone could hit a link in an e-mail, go to that FTP site, and download the show. When it comes to radio and program producing, I'm still old school in producing it, but the Zoom H2 let me marry the best of the old way of doing it, with a 21st Century tweak. Oh!!!! Here's a shortwave example for ya! When Art Bell did his very 1st Midnight In The Desert program, WBCQ aired it on 7490kHz AM, back in July 2015. What I did was set up a Kenwood TS-2000X to USB mode, (To reduce fading and phasing.), and used the radio's headphone output to the Zoom H2. I used 128kbps MP3 MONO mode, (Even though that's overkill with MAX audio going to 5kHz.). What I've later edited out was the drop outs between Art Bell to Keith Roland, and, or, between Keith's Dark Matter Digital Network and the stream that WBCQ use as the feed. (No satellite then, yet.) The results??? A shortwave recording of that very 1st show with somewhat propagational background sounds, but very natural sounding music and voice qualities. I could have recorded that in 48kbps MP3, the Zoom H2's minimum, but.... Anyway, get the Zoom H2, learn all its perks and jerks, and you will not go wrong, but you will want to do test experiments to set it up to have the audio come out as you want to have it, various bit rates, MONO / STEREO, AGC / LIMIT / COMP / none at all, etc. But, once you do, you'll love it.   
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 1854 UTC »
You can find cheap tiny mp3 players on ebay that will also record, uses aa cells or internal rechargeable and has usb connectivity as well as line in and so on.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 2223 UTC »
Please folks, its 2019 and storage is cheap.  Please do your production in linear pcm (wav).  Life is too short for triple coded content.

+-RH

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 2234 UTC »
Please folks, its 2019 and storage is cheap.  Please do your production in linear pcm (wav).  Life is too short for triple coded content.

+-RH
This is for storing catches though.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 2241 UTC »
Sorry, the comments were directed at dude's post.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 1757 UTC »
Well, I really didn't mean to ruffle feathers on the digital format wars, albeit I did go on a tangent on what I did with my Zoom H2. (My bad...) And yeah, I agree... Although convenient, MP3 certainly isn't the best sound thing out there. It is the format requested for program distribution, thus why I used it. Now, as far as what to use to record shortwave broadcasts? Anything goes for personal use, really. WMA I feel is overkill for shortwave, but if that's what you have, and the storage space for it, let it fly. I've used WMA for OFF-AIR FM recording for years, and still have those +15 years later. I also have drawers of cassettes from the 70's, 80's, and 90's, to dub over to a digital format when time allows. (But, don't we all?) Anyway, my point is, what I did was just one example. Thus, if there's better, easier, ways to suggest a digital OFF-AIR recording methods, let it fly.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 1801 UTC »
Point being, always start with clean source material.  If you start with compressed media and then compress it again, your results won't sound very good, and you can hear the difference.  Even on airchecks people send me I can tell if something came off low rate MP3 or YT.  Distribution in MPEG is fine as long as the rate is high enough, over 160Kbps usually.

My aircheck directory spans over 15 years now, and most of that is PCM.

+-RH

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 2134 UTC »
"...and you can hear the difference.  Even on airchecks people send me I can tell if something came off low rate MP3 or YT. "

Did you know that YT usually has versions of different quality available and it sends the one it thinks matches the device you are using? You can view them with youtube-dl using the -F command and select the version with -f. It now automatilally selects the highest quality. I've never noticed a problem with the audio quality on YT.

~

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 2348 UTC »
"...and you can hear the difference.  Even on airchecks people send me I can tell if something came off low rate MP3 or YT. "

Did you know that YT usually has versions of different quality available and it sends the one it thinks matches the device you are using? You can view them with youtube-dl using the -F command and select the version with -f. It now automatilally selects the highest quality. I've never noticed a problem with the audio quality on YT.

~

I've never heard anything off youtube that sounded that good, certainly not good enough for aggressive processing or re-coding.  There is always 'shimmer in the highs' MPEG artifacts.

+-RH

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 2215 UTC »
I find that a nice crooked smile eq setup takes care of a lot of mp3 shimmer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 0358 UTC »
"I've never heard anything off youtube that sounded that good, certainly not good enough for aggressive processing or re-coding.  There is always 'shimmer in the highs' MPEG artifacts.

+-RH"

I had to do some listening and thinking about that. Turns out the type of music I listen to won't let shimmer come through or benefit from aggressive processing.

https://deepjams.net/

https://tunein.com/radio/Deep-Jams-Radio-s224806/

Here's the last songs they played:

Jimi Hendrix - Jelly 292
Hot Tuna - That's Alright Mama
Trigger Hippy - Dry County
Warren Haynes - Blue Radio
Oteil And The Peacemakers - Get Ready
Widespread Panic - Tail Dragger
Tedeschi Trucks Band - Everybody's Talkin'
Kenny Wayne Shepherd - I'm A King Bee
Sonny Landreth - Walkin' Blues
Jimmy Herring - Bilgewater Blues

~
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 0404 UTC by JimIO »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 0909 UTC »
There are probably a few hundred "Niteloggers" sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns