We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Global HF Pirate Weekend  (Read 5820 times)

Offline federer_11

• View Profile
    • Email
Global HF Pirate Weekend
« on: January 02, 2012, 2101 UTC »
Hello all! I'm inviting everyone to take part in the Global HF Pirate Weekend! More information can be found here: http://hkdx2.blogspot.com/2011/12/global-pirate-hf-weekend-14-1512012.html

73 from Bulgaria!

Offline Ron Hunsicker

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Global HF Pirate Weekend
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 2143 UTC »
I found information about the weekend on the Finish club's website.  Notice the dates; my propagation programs suggest that 21 MHz is not open to Europe this time of year

Next HF-Pirate-Weekend will be Sat-Sun 14-15.1.2012 !!

Let's name it name now "Global Pirate HF-Weekend". A test-weekend for pirates from all over the world to broadcast on High Frequencies 10 - 28 MHz (mostly on 15-22 MHz) !!

So, I hope also pirate stations from USA and Canada will join this weekend!!

I think that the stations should prefere 21-22 MHz, which give best skips faraway, but 15 MHz seems to work also (worse below this).

Lets's also hope that all DX-forums around the world will notice this and we will have more listeners around the world, in Asia, Latin America, Middle East and Africa.

Ron Hunsicker
Wyomissing, Pennsylvania 
ronhunsi at ptd.net
Elad FDM-S3, a dipole cut for 6955, a DX Engineering Amplified Vertical, and a Wellbrook with a rotator

Offline federer_11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 2148 UTC »
I'll check again, but you're free to choose between all the pirate bands. I hope more stations will take part this year, it would be great fun. I'm also going to take part.

73 from Bulgaria!

Newfoundland DXer

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 2335 UTC »
The last global pirate weekend in November was the most active weekend I have have ever seen.  Stations that I had had never heard of turned up on the air, and it was just a constant beehive of activity from morning to night.  Not all were on the high frequencies, in fact I had more logs below 10 MHz than above.  I saw reports from listeners from all over Europe, South America, Kazachstan, India, Japan, New Zealand and others that I can't remember.

The only thing missing was stations from this side.  (There was one who planned to take part, but had technical difficulties.) 

Hopefully, that will be different this time.

As for props, I heard stations as high as 26 MHz in November, and my favourite props page http://dx.qsl.net/propagation/propagation.html has shown lots of 30's on the 3000km MUF in the daytimes lately.

Of course, you never know til you try ;)

Cheers, Terry

Offline federer_11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 1144 UTC »
Hope more pirates from America will take part.

Offline mondomusique

• Halifax, NS, CANADA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 1354 UTC »
The last global pirate weekend in November was the most active weekend I have have ever seen.  Stations that I had had never heard of turned up on the air, and it was just a constant beehive of activity from morning to night.

Terry, will you log em in this forum as you find em that weekend?  I would like to see what I can snag from my QTH in Halifax NS.
Afedri sdr, Palstar radio, Wellbrook antenna
eQSLs: djprincehifi@yahoo.ca

Newfoundland DXer

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 0046 UTC »
Hey, another Atlantic Canadian pirate DXer!  Location, location, location! ;)

It's not really possible to log as I go with Europirates ... just too busy.

But you are cordially invited to drop by Iann's chat room http://www.easyshopdiscountzone.com/radio/pirate/english/ where most of the Euro pirates hang out.  I am there most weekends and quite a few North American DXers hang there too.  It is the place to get instant tips on activity.  (And I have noticed that actual station schedules did vary from the posted times during the last DX test, so you want to be there on the next test weekend.)

The same applies to any other North American DXer interested in logging Europirates.

Cheers, Terry

Newfoundland DXer

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 0047 UTC »
For those interested in the global test weekend, my logs for the last one in November are here: http://freeradiocafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1764.  This will give you an idea of the times and frequency ranges used.

I did notice last time that, in many cases, stations did not follow their published schedules exactly.  So it is a good idea to scan around.  As well, there was a tremendous amount of activity below 15 MHz (in the usual pirate bands), much more than an average weekend. 

I can only hope that props are as good as last time!

Have fun!

Cheers, Terry

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 1902 UTC »
Bumping this up as a reminder about the DX Tests this weekend: http://hkdx2.blogspot.com/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree