We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Beacon reception  (Read 1585 times)

Matt285

Beacon reception
« on: October 29, 2019, 1702 UTC »
I seem to be able to copy ODX out of Ontario and WV, but other stations are tough. can active transmitting stations post their activity. Thanks

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Beacon reception
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 1802 UTC »
Most of the beacons are on 24/7, but remember they are typically running just a few mW. Hearing one is the exception, not the rule  :)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline kc3gfz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 1922 UTC »
I have  beacon “Abby” running 24 hours mostly. 13562-64 range. Beacon is in Western Pennsylvania. Any reports would be appriciated. Antenna halfwave inverted V about 22feet off ground at feed point. Thinking about maybe switching to a vertical for lower angle of radiation.

Chris K33GFZ

Offline Ed H

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 1929 UTC »
Beacon PVC active here in California. 13,555.55 kHz. Often it is turned off at weekends so that I can listen without being swamped.

HF propagation isn't being kind to beacons much of the time at the moment. Do try for the hours before and after sunset, there can be a lift in conditions during this period of the day.

/Ed

Matt285

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 2214 UTC »
I will keep an ear out and post what I hear.