We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Robert Freeman, Beatles Album Cover Photographer, passes at 81  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
From Pitchfork (yes, I know the story says 82 but you do the math):
Robert Freeman, the British photographer who shot some of the Beatles’ most iconic album covers, has died. He was 82 years old, as Deadline reports. Though the cause of death has not yet been revealed, the news of Freeman’s passing was announced via the Beatles’ official Twitter account earlier today.

Freeman was born in 1938. Early in his career, he worked as a photo-journalist for The Sunday Times. His life as a professional photographer took off when he began working with the Beatles in the early ’60s. Freeman would go on to shoot the now-legendary covers of Help!, Beatles for Sale, Rubber Soul, With the Beatles, A Hard Day’s Night, and more. He also captured images of John Coltrane, Mohammed Ali, Andy Warhol, Charlton Heston, and many other pivotal figures in pop culture.

Following the news of Freeman’s death, Paul McCartney posted words of remembrance on his website. “Dear Robert Freeman has passed away. He was one of our favourite photographers during the Beatles years who came up with some of our most iconic album covers,” McCartney wrote. “I will miss this wonderful man but will always cherish the fond memories I have of him.”

No, Al - He did not get to shoot the Ohio Players' "Honey" album cover, nor the cover of Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass' "Whipped Cream and Other Delights"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 1955 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Fansome

Re: Robert Freeman, Beatles Album Cover Photographer
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 1744 UTC »
And apparently not the famous Beatles' "Butcher" cover.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 1852 UTC »
And apparently not the famous Beatles' "Butcher" cover.

Or the even more rare "Baker" cover

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 1910 UTC »
Butcher, Baker, and of course the finale at:

https://imgur.com/a/0dMot1I

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 2155 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Freeman, Beatles Album Cover Photographer, passes at 81
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 0026 UTC »
Was Ginger there? I don't mean Tina Louise.