We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirate Radio antennas  (Read 3258 times)

Matt285

Pirate Radio antennas
« on: October 30, 2019, 0110 UTC »
The subject of Pirate radio wattage seemed to be an interesting topic. My next question is. What type of antennas are the 'Typical' Pirate stations using. Dipole, Extended Double Zepp, Verticals, Beverage type?

Offline OgreVorbis

• View Profile
    • DosaidSoft
    • Email
Re: Pirate Radio antennas
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 0155 UTC »
The subject of Pirate radio wattage seemed to be an interesting topic. My next question is. What type of antennas are the 'Typical' Pirate stations using. Dipole, Extended Double Zepp, Verticals, Beverage type?

I tend to think inverted V because it's easiest to put up.
Radio and Programming Blog: http://dosaidsoft.com/wp/

Offline Roykirk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 2349 UTC »

I tend to think inverted V because it's easiest to put up.

I think it depends on what your need is for staying out of sight.  If I lived out in the country without a neighbor nearby, I'd go with a dipole.  The problem around where I live is that every neighborhood has an HOA and few allow visible antennas.  So unless you want to manufacture a mag loop that will hide in a fake Direct TV dish, you're probably stuck with using something stealth.  I had great luck for years tuning up my rain gutter.  It was basically a 70' long inverted "L" antenna.  Got receptions all over the world with that, but I was also pumping out at least 500 watts using an Ameritron.  The downside was that the wife didn't appreciate the garage door going up and down on its own or the lights flickering while she was trying to read.  She shut me down before the feds could.   ;D

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 0436 UTC »
A dipole or inverted vee are probably the most common.  There was once a joke going around that most pirate radio activity in this country occurs within 300-500 miles of Boston.  Based on this NVIS is desired, and these antenna choices seem appropriate.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 1615 UTC »
I've used inverted "V's" the most followed by verticals with two to four raised counterpoises heading down from a common feedpoint at 6-8 ft., it's a near perfect match for 50 ohm coax at that height. I'd go with two counterpoises in an inverted "Y" shape if your region is prone to high winds. They're both basically a raised counterpoise verts.

Keep the counterpoises at least 2-3 ft. off the ground and have fun. The inverted "Y" is the quickest effective put up and bring down antenna for the portable pirate. Once you've mastered it it's 5 minutes up and seconds down if you have to haul ass.

Offline WWBR

• Somewhere in the Great Lakes
  • WWBR Worldwide Basement Radio, WILD
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 0145 UTC »
I am in a subdivision, thankfully no HOA BS to deal with, but seriously limited by the need to not be conspicuous/obvious. Inverted V over a chainlink fence is one thing I'll try. I'd also like to construct a 35' vertical basically a monopole insulated from ground. Where to put it is my issue.

As for now, I'm working on an inverted V and can hopefully get this thing up before much longer. I'm probably limited to 15' at the most on this one.

Other than that, I'm going to experiment with odd ideas and see what I get with them. It will be odd transmitting from the midwest!
Grundig Satellit 800 ME with 35' sloper
Realistic DX440 with random wire
Realistic DX120 with random wire
Various vintage Portables
Transmitter: Yaesu FT757GX
Inverted V, mounted 20' above a chainlink fence, N to S
Comments and reception reports welcome.
eQSL to radio.boogie@protonmail.com

Offline QRP

• View Profile

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 1930 UTC »
A fairly stealthy hoa placating method is to string a loop of wire of appropriate colour tacked under the eaves completely around the domicile if one wanted a loop, otherwise make it a dipole, feed it with coax with some ferrets at the feedpoint to reduce rfi, and privateer away! If anyone asks what you're doing with that wire, tell them it's part of the security system.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 1653 UTC »
Endfed half wave antennas are simple to set up and can be hard to spot. I have a friend who lives in a HOA prison so we set up an end fed running up to his HOA approved flagpole, claiming it was a guy wire to keep the pole straight. Another one I know of had a pulley in a tree so the far end could be hauled up at night when no one would spot it.

The 8:1 transformers can be home made

https://pa3hho.wordpress.com/end-fed-antennes/multiany-band-end-fed-english/
https://buildthings.wordpress.com/ham-radio-end-fed-antenna-80m-40m-20-m-15m-10m-164-matching-network-balun/

Or can be purchased (just one of many examples and prices)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Balun-Unun-1-64-64-1-For-End-Fed-Half-Wave-EFHW-antenna-400W-/283566730902
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half