We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Recent FCC activity on HF  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Roykirk

• View Profile
    • Email
Recent FCC activity on HF
« on: November 07, 2019, 1507 UTC »
I've been away for awhile, but have recently been looking at scratching my broadcasting "itch."  I'm curious if there has been any known recent FCC actions on HF pirates?  I recall even a few years ago that the general consensus was that they typically wouldn't bother with HF pirates as long as you stayed off the amateur bands and didn't interfere with other services like MARS.  But then I read earlier this year that the FCC was going to be ramping up targeting of pirates once again, including shortwave.  Anyway, just wondering if anyone has heard anything.  When I look on the FCC's pirate enforcement page, I still only see actions on FM pirates. 

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Recent FCC activity on HF
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 2116 UTC »
The usual HF grabs have been these dudes that broadcast for long hours, or frequently everyday, on the same FREQ and location. Usually around Christmas and NYD you hear about that happening, but you still can be pretty safe to do a gorilla warfare style of broadcasting portable and mobile. Also, take advantage of upper HF propagation, like this December's 11M Sporadic E, where the TX has a small local footprint, but may skip over several federal monitoring stations. With Medium Wave, you'll still have a dent sized local footprint and about every monitoring station could RX and triangulate. I base this upon past experiences, but I don't see these scenarios changing too soon.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Roykirk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 2135 UTC »
Thanks for the advice!  I think I've got about a perfect living situation for the next year or so, and I don't want to pass it up.  Renting a house in a gated community, a house that happens to have a great view of the gate.  Nobody can come in without me seeing them (and nobody can come in without the code regardless).  There would be no danger of any surprise "knocks."  But renting a house in a gated community also means no permanent antennas, nor visible antennas of any sort by HOA rules.  I'll have to cook up a stealth antenna as I've done in the past I think. 

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 0354 UTC »
"According to the CIA World Factbook, the estimated
population of the United States (as of July 2004) is 293,027,571.
Estimates from reliable sources indicate that approximately 8 million
people (about 3% of Americans) live in gated communities"

I would stop talking about it...    8)

~

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 1902 UTC »
We could go over there when he's not broadcasting, put on ski masks and t-shirts saying "I'm not Al" and take all his good junk.