We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WLO seeking reception reports  (Read 4227 times)

Offline LanceLovejoy

• View Profile
    • Email
WLO seeking reception reports
« on: January 12, 2012, 0355 UTC »
At 03:50z on 8472khz WLO broadcasting news reports in alternating RTTY and NAVTEX.

"WE ARE INTERESTED IN RECEPTION REPORTS OF THESE BROADCAST.  PLEASE SEND
YOUR RECEPTION REPORT TO WLONEWS-AT-OLYPEN.COM"

Not exactly a tough catch from here, but , they didn't specify you had to be on a ship or anything so they got my report.  Wonder if they QSL?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 2238 UTC by LanceLovejoy »
Icom R75-wellbrook 330s
St. Louis MO
lancelvj@gmail.com

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: WLO seeking reception reports
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 2332 UTC »
LL;

Many domestic utilities will willingly verify reports as long you do not divulge any sensitive comms, so it's definitely worth a try.  It helps to send your report to the attention of the Chief Engineer, and include signal reports on parallel frequencies if you can find them.

At the very least, you might get something even more precious (at least to me) than a QSL, that being a rejection letter!  I've only been able to get a handful of these over the years...
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

cmradio

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 0448 UTC »
Many domestic utilities will willingly verify reports as long you do not divulge any sensitive comms...

You mean...

Hi, WLO!

Indeed you put in a good signal. Here's part of my reception report:

"..... USS CARL VINSON TO AIM MISSLES AT TEHRAN. USS JOHN C. STENNIS TO AIM AT DAMASCUS....."

Won't get me a card? ???

:D

Offline LanceLovejoy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 0501 UTC »
LOL@CM  :D :D :D :D :D

Hey CM:  BTW, How did you figure out my wet dream of a reception report anyway? ???
Damn you're good!
Icom R75-wellbrook 330s
St. Louis MO
lancelvj@gmail.com

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 1518 UTC »
CMRadio;

Thank you for your recent reception report detailing a communication from the USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) on ** 6925.1kHz ** at 0310z on 7 Jan 12.  While most of the details you provided are indeed accurate (including targeting information), we regret to inform you that we cannot at this time verify your report as is.  Our logs show that at this time we were actually engaged in traffic on ** 6925.2kHz **, using a homebrew "Fat Man" Grenade transmitter.

If you would care to amend and re-submit your report (please bypass the Pearl Harbor mail drop and send it to theempguys <at> gmail <dot> com) we will be more than happy to send you one of our "Turn the Key,  Press the Button!" REAL QSL cards.  They glow in the dark!

Normally, the divulgence of sensitive communications such as weapon targeting information would be a violation of the ECPA86.  But seriously!  Who's f00kin' who here!

73 and FFFR,

ET1 John "Big Mast" Calhoun
For the Chief Radio Officer

Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT

cmradio

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 0803 UTC »
Thank you Technician Calhoun,

I re-sent my modified report to the email address provided.

I received a Flash video e-QSL. I realize the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy has been repealed, but I didn't realize how excited the "threempguys" could be about that :o

Yours truly,

CMRadio

P.S.: the song credits for the video are incorrect - "In The Navy" was done by The Village People.

Offline LanceLovejoy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 2243 UTC »
On again today at 8472u today in RTTY and NAVTEX.  No requests for reception reports  today though.  Perhaps my 27 email QSL requests were of some mild annoyance to them.  8)  Not sure what the schedule is for these, but no better way to get the news!

Icom R75-wellbrook 330s
St. Louis MO
lancelvj@gmail.com

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 2303 UTC »
 ;D ;D ;D
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT

Offline The Hokie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 0040 UTC »
that being a rejection letter!  I've only been able to get a handful of these over the years...

I got one of those from the Beeb World Service  ;D Right before they officially stopped broadcasting to the Colonies.
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns