We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Play me some Jones  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
Play me some Jones
« on: November 11, 2019, 2241 UTC »
While I was taking a break from the usual post weekend home repair  :(  here at the shelter, listening to WMBG 740 in Williamsburg due to WJOI is no longer a pleasant listen because they blew the tower " rather than it fall down".
I moved the tune of the Panasonic only up a little because I noticed some spatter.  It's Jones talking about power pills you need to take on the empire and protect and purge you of the heavy metals. This radio has no shortwave capability
Wow , I didn't know he was on AM.   Then call letters WWCR.
It ran for about 5 mins and drastically increased with my hand near the telescopic.
I managed to get a cell phone vid .
I've heard shortwave come blasting through on a crystal set that lacked any ability to reject strong sigs and just blew through the magnetic fields in the coils.
But the Panasonics are high quality radios that would permit no such thing. 
When it faded a religious station came up , ( WBMD?) confirmed it was 750 kHz ish.
12160 KHZ  divided by 16 is 760
A nearby DX 380 could not hear it but I managed to put WWCR at 750 - 760ish based on the 750 religious station match and readout of the DX 380

So ..?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kN8-5xmQ8n4
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 2317 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Play me some Jones
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 0258 UTC »
I had a Technics receiver in the mid-70's that would pick up SW if I hooked to the TV antenna. I was hoping for FM dx.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 1001 UTC »
Alex Jones is on some AM stations. He was on several I'd hear during the evening up until at least a couple years ago.

The fact that the radio in the video is a Panasonic wouldn't necessarily make it spur-proof. It's probably single conversion, as many other AM/FM's are.

Or you might have picked him up on a station from Florida on 790 (according to his affiliate list -- no idea how current his list is), if you heard it at night.

Either way -- interesting catch. I've never heard SW on an AM/FM radio on the AM band, except a long time ago, a friend's home stereo would pick up Radio Moscow sometimes, very high up in the AM band -- it was an obvious image or spur (mixing product of some type).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 1004 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 1625 UTC »
Hmmm, this is an interesting one.  The fact that the DX380 did not hear it indicates that it is some kind of a mixing product
developed in the Panasonic.  Have heard SW stations on an AM radio before but never as loud as what you heard.
Let me give this some more thought...
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 1826 UTC »
Looks like there are a couple of AM affiliate stations in VA...  WNTW AM 820 and WKGM AM 940, both @ 10 kw.
Do you live near either of those ?  Also, what type of antenna were you using on both radios ?

Do you live near any AM station ?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 2131 UTC by pinto vortando »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 1855 UTC »
Alex Jones is on some AM stations. He was on several I'd hear during the evening up until at least a couple years ago.

The fact that the radio in the video is a Panasonic wouldn't necessarily make it spur-proof. It's probably single conversion, as many other AM/FM's are.

Or you might have picked him up on a station from Florida on 790 (according to his affiliate list -- no idea how current his list is), if you heard it at night.

Either way -- interesting catch. I've never heard SW on an AM/FM radio on the AM band, except a long time ago, a friend's home stereo would pick up Radio Moscow sometimes, very high up in the AM band -- it was an obvious image or spur (mixing product of some type).

Most of those high end tube receiver/amp combos of the 60's/70's were set up for those newfangled FM classical and hippy stations, they were set up to be broadbanded. If you tried to attach an AM antenna in a crowded market it turned into a stew. I used to get Radio Australia's SW service on 1240 kHz when the greyline was right. As Melbourne was about 12 hrs ahead of us, I'd let it go to screw with people. You think they would have noticed the difference in accents?

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 1857 UTC »
I'm between 2 AM stations that carrier Alex Jones, one in Athens, OH, and another somewhere in Virginia. No one carriers him where I am, (Go figure...). There are a lot of Part #15 and FM pirate stations that carry him as well. In the mid-90's, I remember hearing Alex Jones on Brockport, NY's WASB. As far as the IMD overload from WWCR? There's a POS CB preamp that was lousy about IMD, where SW stations can be heard on CB's. Remember the American super splatter WEWN, and Glen Hauser puts it? I use to hear that with this preamp.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 1712 UTC »
Thanks for the postulates so far...  790 here is WNIS , i must be in the beam you can hear it on a broken radio.  I will never post dx on 790  8).  The reception was on the internal MW ferrite and telescopic retracted. I'm positive it was WWCR , the standard id clip they use. I can rule out any part 15 relay in my neighborhood - i get questions about " the wire in your yard " and when i answer you can tell by their faces they still dont understand.

Ive never heard any of the Jones affiliates at night even .  The video and reception was mid afternoon.

Another thing i noticed was  the audio seemed crispy and not really stable , and also very high hand capacity near the telescopic up to 3 inches away not normally noticed , but makes sense -a skywave  that the telescopic is better at.  It definitely was confined to 750-760 and tunable. Mathematically near a divisor of 12160 , but maybe a coincidence

i too believe it was a strong possibility of a fault in the radio but by the time i heard the id it was nearly gone. this radio was a store sound system for a couple of years 18 hrs a day without any hiccups.
It seems though it would take an unusually strong signal for this condition, however.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 1838 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 2022 UTC »
If Bill Hicks was coming in well and suddenly gone, that might be from a legit amer carrying Hicks show disinfowars that switched to low power and/or an array change.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 2202 UTC »
Again, the key here is that the DX380 did not hear it.  This indicates some kind of product developed in the Panasonic
mixing stage probably caused by overload which drives the stage into non-linear operation.
Since no external antenna was involved, it can be considered internal mixing. 
Since it was tunable, you can rule out IF feedthrough or audio stage rectification.
Problem is that with internal mixing there is an almost limitless combination of frequencies
that can cause what you heard so figuring out the source may be impossible.

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 0151 UTC »
Sounds good , youre right about the the key points and also any further theory. Just seemed in line with other weird around here recently , trying to figure out if its just me or what.
 Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 0154 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 0232 UTC »
trying to figure out if its just me or what

It's not you... you heard what you heard...  it's the radio.
All part of what makes radio interesting.   :)

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 0359 UTC »
If people would ignore Jones he would go away. Problem solved.

~

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 2121 UTC »

My 1982 Sherwood receiver (still works) would regularly pick up RVI (Belgium).
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 2223 UTC »
Were the '82's the last of the all tube Sherwoods?

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns