We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: It's the second week of deer camp... Time to monitor!  (Read 1390 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
It's the second week of deer camp... Time to monitor!
« on: November 13, 2019, 2044 UTC »
Uh-huh, tis that time of year in much of the USA for deer season. In the 1970's, 80's, and most of the 90's, you heard hunters on CB portables, especially CH 14. Some of those portables reached over 10 miles! A friend of mine in NW Pennsyl-tucky, (Not Pennsylvania. If you've been there, then you'll know what I mean.), used a 40CH full powered CB portable in his drive and was still able to QSO to me some 20 miles away with it. Come to the 1990's and now. FRS / GMRS UHF portables are now the norm. With foliage to a minimum and hunters on hilltops, you can hear these folks for miles as well. Fun to listen to these dudes. They would whisper to each other, "There he is, there he is! I'm going to try and take my shot." Then, that's the cue when, (Not me, but someone closely resembling me.), would key up and yell, "BANG!!!!!!" Then, the next thing you'd hear on the radio is, "What the hell was that?!?!" Anyway, you get the idea. It's something else to monitor. Hi-hi......
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: It's the second week of deer camp... Time to monitor!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 2112 UTC »
Thanks for reminding me! I have someone on 462.725 right now.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 2125 UTC »
MURS and the VHF business freqs (151.625 MHz, etc) are also big in this area. A lot of hunters just pick them up off eBay and use them as-is without regard to what freqs they are on.

- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 0028 UTC »
A friend in Counciltucky Iowa (started by people what got kicked out of Omaha) has a 11m vert atop a tower and can converse with mobiles in Sewer City Ia with 100w ssb, just sayin.

Start Point: Iowa Ave, Council Bluffs, IA 51503, USA
End Point: Iowa St, Sioux City, IA 51101, USA
Driving Distance: 95.3 mi , Duration: 1 hour 31 mins, Route: I-29 N
Different Units: 153.42 km, 95.33 mi, 82.84 nmi
Straight line or air distance: 145.57 km, 90.45 miles, 78.55 nautical miles.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 2237 UTC »
Or as a Minnesota born and bred girlfriend of mine called them, "Iowegians".

I still can't figure out how anyone could get out of Nebraska? Other than Lincoln and Omaha with it's notorious whore, there's nothing out there but cows, hogs, and prairie dogs, the "Penguins of The Plains".

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 2324 UTC »
As this is a deer hunting thread, I've got to give Iowa it's props. There are huge whitetails in and around those cornfields. Some are reported to be close to 300 lbs. That's a big buck.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 1901 UTC »
If you get west of Omaha/Lincoln the deer become way skinnier and taste like pine tree because that's all they have to eat.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 0425 UTC »
Hunters on FRS CH7 today, being the 1st day of Buck season in WV. I didn't hear if they've gotten one.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 1833 UTC »
Go to any game checking station or fast food outlet on the edge of the boonies and you'll see the "Dance of The Dead Buck" as the hunters go around and around  town with the carcass strapped on the hood of the truck.

I don't mind it if it's 16-20 year old kid, but if the guy waltzing that deer around town has hit 40, (A kid's first deer is excused if they're under the driving age and Dad's driving.),grab the buck and shoot the hunter.