We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 10 meter band folded dipole  (Read 1803 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
10 meter band folded dipole
« on: November 21, 2019, 1541 UTC »
My resurrected 10 meter dipole, this time as a folded dipole.

Each element is 8 ft 7 inches long, made of 300 ohm ladder line, feeding a 4:1 balun and 75 ohm RG-6 coax.

I weaved a piece of rope through the ladder line to provide mechanical support, the far ends of the rope are tied to the rope in the trees, this way there is little or no mechanical stress on the ladder line itself:

The rope is also tied around the balun's eyebolt:

It's currently up about 25 or 30 ft, which is not very high overall, but on 10 meters we're in the 3/4 wavelength or so range. I want to raise it a bit more, to about one wavelength, for more low angle radiation in the pattern.

The SWR looks pretty good:

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: 10 meter band folded dipole
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 2009 UTC »
NICE!!!!! Put that to a scanner this December to hear when Sporadic E openings up the FM portion of the band on 29.600MHz simplex and the 10M FM repeater FREQ's, 29.620, 29.640, 29.660, and 29.680MHz. You might even hear AM'ers on 29.0000000MHz. Looks like a good CB receiving antenna too for 27MHz and even the 11M broadcast band, where you've got WWV at 25.0000MHz and those radio station auxiliary stations in NBFM. Lots to hear for sure, now we need to wait for the Winter Sporadic E season to pick back up around Christmas and New Year's.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 0008 UTC »
COOL !   8)
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 1226 UTC »
I did some quick tests yesterday afternoon. I was able to reach the KiwiSDR in Mt Airy MD (25 or so miles away) on 10 meters, I assume via direct wave / line of sight.   On 11 meters it's great for reception, lots of signals noted that were weak or non existent on other antennas.  I do need to raise one end of it a bit higher, perhaps today if the rain holds off.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree