We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Gahan Wilson, Vividly Macabre Cartoonist, Dies at 89  (Read 1020 times)

Fansome

Gahan Wilson, Vividly Macabre Cartoonist, Dies at 89
« on: November 23, 2019, 0735 UTC »
He used to do the cover art for "Passport to World Band Radio"

His work — seen in National Lampoon, Playboy, The New Yorker and other magazines — was full of visual surprises and black humor.

By Neil Genzlinger

Nov. 22, 2019

Gahan Wilson, whose outlandish, often ghoulish cartoons added a bizarrely humorous touch to Playboy, The New Yorker, National Lampoon and other publications in the era when magazines propelled the cultural conversation, died on Thursday in Scottsdale, Ariz. He was 89.

His stepson Paul Winters said the cause was complications of dementia, which Mr. Wilson had been dealing with for years.

Mr. Wilson was known for visual surprises and black humor:

A steward tells a couple on a cruise ship, “I’ve passed your complaints along to the captain,” while in the background the captain, a violent-looking pirate, approaches.

A man in a doctor’s office is reading an eye chart that says, in letters of diminishing size, “I am an insane eye doctor and I am going to kill you now”; behind him a crazed doctor prepares to attack him with a knife.

“Some cartoonists can be good by having jokes, gags, and they’re funny gags,” David Remnick, the editor of The New Yorker, says in “Gahan Wilson: Born Dead, Still Weird,” a 2013 documentary directed by Steven-Charles Jaffe. “The really great ones develop a private language, a set of characters, a set of expectations, a world. Gahan Wilson developed a world.”

Another editor who published him frequently was Hugh Hefner of Playboy. He printed his first Gahan Wilson cartoon in the late 1950s.

“Gahan Wilson was an immediate hit with our readers and a perfect contrast to our usual, more sexual cartoon fare,” Mr. Hefner wrote in the introduction to “Gahan Wilson: 50 Years of Playboy Cartoons” (2011).

“By the early 1960s,” he continued, “I could say with real satisfaction that no other magazine in the world — The New Yorker included — had a cartoon stable the equal of Playboy’s. And no cartoonist was more popular, or more enduring, than Gahan Wilson.”

Gahan Allen Wilson was born on Feb. 18, 1930, in Evanston, Ill. His father, Allen, was an executive at a steel company, and his mother, Marion, did publicity for a department store. The “born dead” part of the documentary’s title refers to the story he recounts of his birth: His mother had been given an anesthetic that knocked her out but also caused him to be born seemingly dead. The hospital staff was prepared to “put me in some sort of box,” he says in the film, but his family doctor intervened.

“He used hot and cold water and slap, slap, slap,” Mr. Wilson told The Comics Journal in 2011. “He got me coughing and puking and breathing and that’s that: I was alive.”

Mr. Wilson was an only child and, he said, his parents drank too much, resulting in a bittersweet childhood. He turned to cartooning while very young, cultivating his imagination.

One cartoon done years later speaks to his upbringing. A child is emerging from an alley, surrounded by bizarre creatures. Two adults on the sidewalk can see only the child. “Here comes that Wilson boy — all alone as usual,” one says.

“And I wasn’t all alone,” Mr. Wilson says in the documentary, “which was the joys of imagination.”

Both parents had artistic abilities; his mother had attended the Art Institute of Chicago for a time. He found his father distant, but Allen Wilson did provide Gahan with a key to his future.

“When I was 8 or 9, I was browsing through the books section of a secondhand store, and I saw this set of bound volumes of Punch,” the British humor magazine, he told The Comics Journal. “I bought one of the volumes for 15 cents and took it home. After pleading with my father, he very sweetly drove me back to the place and plopped down for the entire set, bless his heart.”

His father, he said, was not so supportive when, after serving in the Air Force and graduating from the Art Institute of Chicago, Gahan announced his intention to seek his fortunate as a cartoonist. His father said only a terse “Good luck.”

Although his family was well off, Mr. Wilson did not benefit from financial support; he settled into a spartan 1950s bohemian life in New York, trying to break in but mostly accumulating rejections.

“Editors would take my drawings, laugh like hell, then hand them back and say, ‘Sorry, our readers wouldn’t understand,’” he told The Boston Globe in 1973.

“Dealing with poverty wasn’t the biggest barrier of my career,” Mr. Wilson told The Globe in another interview, in 1982. “The hump was dealing with the emotional part of rejection. You have to say, ‘I will not accept it,’ and go on.”

He was selling to small publications at $7.50 a cartoon, trying but failing to get into Collier’s Weekly, which paid much more, until a change in Collier’s editing staff brought in William Chessman, who promptly bought some of Mr. Wilson’s work.

“Collier’s started publishing me by mistake because the cartoon editor left and the new man didn’t know he wasn’t supposed to buy my stuff,” Mr. Wilson explained.

Other top magazines followed, including, in December 1957, Playboy.

“I don’t think I could have imagined before the fact how Gahan was going to grow,” Mr. Hefner wrote in his introduction to the Playboy collection. “What one saw in the beginning was only the promise.”

Mr. Wilson became a Playboy regular but drew for other top magazines as well. In the 1970s he had a regular strip called “Nuts” in National Lampoon, a view of the unsettling, often disappointing side of childhood; he envisioned the strip as a sort of anti-“Peanuts.”

Mr. Wilson married the writer Nancy Winters in 1966. As his health declined, she had been “his rock and his guide through the world,” as a GoFundMe page set up by Mr. Winters on Mr. Wilson’s behalf put it. Mr. Winters created the page, to help with Mr. Wilson’s care, after Ms. Winters died on March 2; more than $83,000 was raised.

In addition to Paul Winters, Mr. Wilson’s survivors include another stepson, Randy Winters; a daughter-in-law, Patrice Winters; eight step-grandchildren; and several great-grandchildren.

Mr. Wilson’s cartoons occasionally included social or political commentary, and one issue that most concerned him was the environment.

In 2010, when he lived in Sag Harbor, N.Y., he told Hamptons.com, “I have this touching fantasy that maybe one day some senator will look at one of my cartoons and actually say to another senator, ‘You know, he has a point here.’”

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Gahan Wilson, Vividly Macabre Cartoonist, Dies at 89
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 1020 UTC »
I loved "Nuts". Miss Lucy, the block prostitute was always giving the main character crap when he passed her on the corner, usually thumping him with her purse and rolling the kid for his spare change as he was heading home from school. It was a standard theme in the strip. One month Wilson switched it up, she tried to give him a beat down and collapsed from exhaustion. The Kid shoots back at her, "That's what you get for taking food stamps instead of nickles, Miss Lucy."

Al, you're about the right age. Didn't Wilson illustrate all of Hunter Thompson's work in his "Rolling Stone" days?

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 1919 UTC »
No, that was Ralph Steadman, another lunatic Englishman.

Years ago I had a t-shirt with an image of Thompson's "Samoan" attorney vomiting into a toilet, as drawn by Steadman, from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". It was quite the babe magnet. I wore it with pride.

I loved "Nuts". Miss Lucy, the block prostitute was always giving the main character crap when he passed her on the corner, usually thumping him with her purse and rolling the kid for his spare change as he was heading home from school. It was a standard theme in the strip. One month Wilson switched it up, she tried to give him a beat down and collapsed from exhaustion. The Kid shoots back at her, "That's what you get for taking food stamps instead of nickles, Miss Lucy."

Al, you're about the right age. Didn't Wilson illustrate all of Hunter Thompson's work in his "Rolling Stone" days?

Offline Dude111

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 1238 UTC »
Very sad Indeed,poor guy :(

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 2132 UTC »
Steadman was an odd one. So was Vaughn Bode who died much too young by his own hand. The Lampoon in it's high standards of the times sent Vaughn off right, a cartoon of him dangling by the neck from his favorite hang glider, heading off into the sunset.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 2253 UTC »

My Steadman/Thompson t-shirt read "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...."
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)