We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 11M E Skip at 01:00UTC  (Read 1535 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
11M E Skip at 01:00UTC
« on: November 25, 2019, 0628 UTC »
On the drive to work, noticed the 11M CB band opened with Sporadic E to the Mid-West. Checking out LSB38, several stations from Iowa and especially Texas. Some hitting 7lbs. I don't have 10M in the truck, but I'll bet that 28.400MHz was dead.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Matt285

Re: 11M E Skip at 01:00UTC
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 1824 UTC »
yes. Its a shame that there is so much more activity on 11 meters vs 10 meters when there's an opening.

Offline oar9fi

• Sarasota, FL
  • "Stop, collaborate & listen" -Vanilla Ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 1657 UTC »
I managed to catch the E opening last night and in SW FL mostly hearing midwest.. I recently bought CB to just kinda leave on ch 6 for Sporadic E betection.

I'd recently read that when the E skip gets real close to check 6 meters. After working two FL stations tried 6 andI managed to work a few stations on FT8 (first time on 6 !) The signals were either very strong or barely there...little in between

Ten meters was also alive I heard a few stations there as well. I had fun on 11, 10 & 6. Now I know when to check 6M :)
-Justin

Matt285

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 1823 UTC »
Yes. I've heard that about 10 and 6 also. Six meters is a blast and you can make a lot of contacts with low wattage and small antennas. It is very up and down though and will close in half a second. I would like to upgrade my HF rig for one that has six meters also. I worked a lot of 6m contacts with my old FT-817. Five watts into a homemade Moxon up about 25'.

Offline Leonard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 2308 UTC »
 I read that top article "what is freeband 11 meters" I knew that the whole 11 meter band could be active, but I had no idea that so many countries used the band as cb and other. In fact I think more people are using this band than hams using 10 meters so tuning in a great indicator or propagation. I still hear alot of those swishy sounds, I read on this forum that it maybe rf used for curing glue in manufacturing,, but it sure comes in at odd hrs of the day.

Offline 45auto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 1422 UTC »
 Dear Leonard,
   I too hear the swishy sounds. 
   Thinking it might be the solar wind?  Aurora lurking from the north?
   Annoying indeed.

- friend 45auto Upstate NY.

Offline Leonard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 1600 UTC »
In all my years of being on the 11 meter, I wasn't always there, I had a long vacation from it. I remember hearing the swirling sound years ago and now, visualizing it, the sound is is like an upside down tornado. I'd get it real loud sometimes, and I'd think it was a indication that propagation might be changing. Thats probably an incorrect assumption.
But I did find an excellent article explaining the possibility of what it may be.
On the 2nd page is a posting: 27mhz ism fish hook swishers.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 1757 UTC »
I used to listen to my Uncle's CB w/it's beam antenna combo in the late 60's waiting for the West Coast skip to roll in. They were there then. My Uncle, an old Navy radio man, told me they were OTH radar signals. That's the best explanation I ever got for them.

Offline Leonard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 1938 UTC »
Thanks, been hearing them for years, as I have said in other posts on this forum, I get them pretty loud.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns