We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KFAB 1110 AM 0425 UTC 25 Nov 2019  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
KFAB 1110 AM 0425 UTC 25 Nov 2019
« on: November 25, 2019, 1956 UTC »
Another Midwest catch by listening through the closer big signal: Heard KFAB out of Omaha on the car radio (2014 Kia Sedona factory radio) while waiting to pick up my kid in Marysville, Washington, just northwest of me. A male weather forecaster giving a winter storm warning and other forecast information for Omaha was briefly above and then audible below KBND from Bend, Oregon. Then Bill Cunningham’s radio show continued on KFAB.

Once I got back home, I tuned in just before 0700 UTC and in a moment of silence on KBND between ads and Fox news on the hour, I heard part of an Omahajobs.com ad, which I confirmed via KFAB’s livestream. I then heard, periodically, “Coast to Coast AM” on KFAB, which was running several seconds behind KBND’s broadcast of it. Distance from here to Omaha is approximately 1,400 miles.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: KFAB 1110 AM 0425 UTC 25 Nov 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 2139 UTC »
Nice catch, I get them for a brief period right around greyline and then gone till the next day - if I'm lucky.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 0200 UTC »
WGNZ AM Fairborn OH rolling in here tonight on 1110.  That's 200 miles on 2 watts.
WBT Charlotte and KFAB Omaha  nowhere to be heard.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 0855 UTC by pinto vortando »
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 0403 UTC »
KFAB 1110 usually is heard behind KBND here in the PNW -- you usually can tell by the slapback echo on Coast to Coast.

Great catch, though. The Midwesterners and Plains States stations aren't super common out here, being that they have two mountain ranges to cross.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 0111 UTC »
Caught KFAB  late this afternoon before they went to their nighttime pattern (away from me).
Managed to hear them quite clearly under WGNZ in its null. 

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 1618 UTC »
WBT Charlotte NC was the dominant voice on 1110 early this morning.
However, during an occasional fade, WUPE Pittsfield MA would pop in quite clearly. 

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 1418 UTC »
WBT and KFAB battling it out this morning here on the car radio just after our sunrise.
Oddly enough the Omaha station seemed to have the edge even though they were probably still
on their nighttime pattern beamed away from me.
Have not heard the MA station since Monday.  There was a snow emergency in the Berkshires
that day and they may have signed on early...  was lucky enough to catch them here.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 0937 UTC »
In the days when PW stations went off at sunset, 10 p.m. or midnight their time, KFAB kicked out a mighty signal. It and WTAM still fight it out when conditions are good.

Pinto, I used to get a 6 watt night timer out of Horse Cave, KY. The point to point distance wasn't much, a little under 300 miles, but I'd seen the stick while traveling. It looked like a stiff breeze would take it down. I haven't heard it in about a decade, maybe there was a hard wind?

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 1542 UTC »
In the days when PW stations went off at sunset, 10 p.m. or midnight their time, KFAB kicked out a mighty signal. It and WTAM still fight it out when conditions are good.

Pinto, I used to get a 6 watt night timer out of Horse Cave, KY. The point to point distance wasn't much, a little under 300 miles, but I'd seen the stick while traveling. It looked like a stiff breeze would take it down. I haven't heard it in about a decade, maybe there was a hard wind?

Looks like the AMer nearest Horse Cave KY would be WLOC 1150.  The stick is close by the highway.

WTAM 1100 booms in here across the Lake.  If you are hearing it and KFAB 1110 at the same time, you need to upgrade
from your crystal set and get one of them new fangled superhets.    :)