We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Connecting computer soundcard to older model Icoms  (Read 954 times)

Offline Roykirk

• View Profile
    • Email
Connecting computer soundcard to older model Icoms
« on: November 30, 2019, 0234 UTC »
Looking for some recommendations on adapters that would allow connecting a computer sound card (through a simple 3.5 mm audio out cable) to an older model Icom radio, like the IC-735.  I used one years ago from MFJ:

https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1263

Worked good, but overpriced (as far as I'm concerned) and it takes up a lot of space.  Not to mention that they rarely have it in stock.  Today I was browsing around and found the Signalink:

https://www.gigaparts.com/tigertronics-slusb4r.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAoIPvBRDgARIsAHsCw089mVrp9yx86sgjz3OOcwKOI3eErKbwtZabNQ2zASLB45ieeHYLZ1saAheXEALw_wcB

Seems like it might do the trick, but only slightly better in price.  Any other options out there I'm not thinking of? 

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting computer soundcard to older model Icoms
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 2316 UTC »
The signalink's a great piece of gear, but all one really needs is a audio cable and some audio transformers and the requisite connectors for each end. Just plumb the audio ins and outs, passing each via a xformer to isolate the circuit and then employ vox to do the tx/rx switching. You can go in via the mic or the 8 or 13 pin din common to almost every icom, even the mic has audio out.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Roykirk

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Connecting computer soundcard to older model Icoms
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 2344 UTC »
Thanks for the tip.  Yeah, I figured it's probably an easy project for most people, but I was looking for a turn-key option.  With the way my eyesight and hand control is (for things like soldering), I'm preferring to find something I don't have to fiddle with.  Good to know the Signalink is a good option. 

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns