We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Inexpensive VNA  (Read 8151 times)

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Re: Inexpensive VNA
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2020, 1727 UTC »
Cal for the band you are using never across the whole range as you'll have lots of errors.

I speak from using Agilent and R&S VNAs in a lab.

If I cal'd them over the whole range and expected accurate results I'd be daft and get laughed at and probably loose my job.

Use best engineering practices, always!

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2020, 2308 UTC »
Back in the 80's I used to tune FM Broadcast antennas. It took a whole cart full of equipment: sweep generator, marker generator, frequency counter, X-Y scope, return loss bridge, attenuater pads and lots of cables. Calibration was done with a 1.0 and 1.2 load (50 and 60 ohms) and a section of open ended transmission line. You youngsters got it made now with your shirt pocket size VNA's    8)

~

Offline nickcarr3151

• Bellevue, WA
  • The only easy day was yesterday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2020, 0016 UTC »
Cal for the band you are using never across the whole range as you'll have lots of errors.

Okay fair enough but to what degree of accuracy are we talking about?  I'm a stickler for precision but in my measurements I'm not really concerned about a SWR of 1.03 vs 1.09...
Perseus SDR + Wellbrook ALA100LN (60m loop), Wellbrook 1530S+
ICOM 7000 + Zero-Five 10/40 GP Vertical
Xiegu G90
Motorola XPR/XTS Portables, Uniden scanners, Whistler Scanners
Airspy Mini SDR + DSDPlus + Diamond D3000N Discone

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2020, 1833 UTC »
NanoVNA V2’s Now for Sale on eBay and Tindie

We've received a few notices that the NanoVNA V2 design that we've been following since last year is now available for sale on eBay and Tindie (or Taobao if you live in China). The original official sales appear to have been from Tindie, where it is priced at $58.25 + shipping, although it is now out of stock. On eBay resellers are selling it for up to $150. If you're interested in purchasing the V2 we recommend entering your email into the Tindie form as they will notify you when it's back in stock. Initial reviews posted on the Tindie store indicate that the unit has excellent performance for the price so we expect that it will be popular enough to manufacture many more in the future.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/nanovna-v2s-now-for-sale-on-ebay-and-tindie/
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2020, 2142 UTC »
Tempted to get one but as I have 2 of the V1, I can't really justify it.
I decided to drag the battered HyGain multiband vertical antenna out and finally look at in on the NanoVNA.
I literally just stuck it in the ground, no radials or tuning.
When i do decide to tune it to my preferred bands, the VNA is going to make it an easy job.

Haven't posted images in a long time so I hope it works  :o

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2020, 2151 UTC »
Not sure I understand the need for 3.8GHz coverage for a cheap antenna analyzer unless you are doing some sort of low band satellite or whatever. If it can do HF through UHF, I'm good.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns