We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Mousetraps that work and won't trap your fingers  (Read 638 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Mousetraps that work and won't trap your fingers
« on: November 29, 2019, 1531 UTC »
Finally, a mousetrap that works and I'm not afraid will snap on my fingers. I've had issues with mice in the shed, I've caught 3 of them with these traps in the past week. You activate them by pushing down on the end away from the jaws. There a removable cup on the bottom you load with the bait, I find peanut butter works well as it forces the mouse to hang around eating it, increasing the chances of triggering the trap.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerful-Rodent-Control-Effective-Sanitary/dp/B06W51T5GV?tag=blackcatsyste-20

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mousetraps that work and won't trap your fingers
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 1606 UTC »
Chris -

Being in a fairly rural section of Connecticut, we are plagued with deer mice.  They are an important component in the life cycle of Lyme Disease and why it was first discovered/studies conducted/ treatments introduced in southern Connecticut.  Lyme is a rural town just southeast of me on the Connecticut River where the disease first emerged, so there is an urgency to keep the deer mice st bay.

That being said I like your trap.  For bait I have always used chocolate after reading a professional’s suggestion.  The mice can’t resist it and it stays good for months - all the preservatives.  I will take a piece and place it on a spoon over a stove burner.  When it softens a little, I press it into the bait area and it remains adhered to the trap for extended periods.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Mousetraps that work and won't trap your fingers
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 1630 UTC »
Thanks for the tip about chocolate! I will give that a try the next time I need to bait one of the traps.

Interesting about the involvement with the spread of Lyme disease. I've gotten it twice, so appreciate anything being done to stop the spread.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns