We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Clansman PRC-320?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Malt_Beverage

• View Profile
Clansman PRC-320?
« on: December 02, 2019, 1401 UTC »
Hi all, I have in my possession a British military radio. I am familiar about how the radio operates and works, but I could not find any statement of duty cycle in the military paperwork specs. It has standard AM, USB, CW wide and narrow. The AM TX and RX filter is 6.25khz wide. Its frequency agile anywhere from 2Mhz to 30Mhz, so 6925khz and anywhere around it is no problem. Also it receives AM beautifully and they are budget priced, a used one going for about $250 for just the radio.

So anyone try one on the air? I'm just concerned about heat, it is solid state. Im surprised no one else has used one here.

Malt_Beverage

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Clansman PRC-320?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 1915 UTC »
Sorry no help here but always wanted one due to them being 22nd SAS kit, but scarce this side of the pond. Apparently they have reliability issues in some cases so an owner might want to look into the most common failures..
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 2102 UTC »
Try the RACAL forum on Yahoo.
Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 2351 UTC »
I read in some other forums, the PRC320 suffers from unstable frequency and drifting too, which is caused by the rotary wafer switches going bad.
ICOM R71E, Lowe HF-225, YAESU FRG100, TECSUN PL-330, PL-320, XHDATA D-109, D-808, MSi001 SDR, AOR AR3030, Sangean ATS803, ATS-909X, Antenna= Random Wire+ATU, Active Miniwhip

https://twitter.com/RadioPax88
https://www.youtube.com/@RadioPax88/videos

Offline dieselten

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 0140 UTC »
Hello, sorry for the late reply but I thought I might be able to add some info for anyone interested in a 320.  I bought one a year ago from a seller in England.  It is a very nice radio but it is limited for consumer use.  As a Ham radio it only does USB in unmodified form and the decade switches make it very difficult to tune around.  For a DX or SWL unit, it is sensitive enough, but the bandwidth is not very wide and the audio out is not conducive to easy listening.  I have the remote speaker and that helps a little.  My unit receives from 1.6 mhz to 30 mhz.  I had to modify a power cable to attach to a power supply or a bioenno 24v battery.  It is cool, reliable, rugged, and historical.  I would not be concerned with reliability as long as you get one with decent caps and good controls.  The pre selector tuning assembly will last forever if you only turn it in a clockwise direction.