We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Part 15 FM from neighbor with a blingged out yard for Christmas.  (Read 2013 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
A mile away, a neighbor of mine use to put up a u-FM station with X-mas tunage to accompany his totally holiday blingged out decorated yard. He's even got a lit sign that says "101.3FM". This year, that station now reaches 1/4 of a mile and is in stereo. Before, it maybe reached a two yards away. And last year, he didn't have it on. Anyone else come across X-mas decorated yard stations?
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Part 15 FM from neighbor with a blingged out yard for Christmas.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 1640 UTC »
I saw one last year in Hanover, PA. I will need to see if it is back again this year.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 0341 UTC »
Unid 103.5 mhz
The Beach has the annual drive through light show which is only 12 blocks this year , down from 30 in previous years.
They claim damage from sea air on previous years, so for us its a skeleton of its old self, although some of the animated is still impressive. Only time you wont be arrested for driving down the boardwalk, some of us go just because you cant get arrested. Hi LEO- hey there hi.
We usually drive it as a tradition and last week she drove and i got stuck in the back with unleashed 2 yo.
This is only the 2nd or 3rd time that i know of that music is FM radio- mostly you get a CD, this time at 103.5 mhz .  Last year they had a blaster that covered about 6 miles linear seaboard i measured in the Toyota. That was sponsored by Micky Ds from the numerous ads for their charity house in between Mannheim steamroller and whatnot. They had signs giving the freq then. NO ID .
This year no frequency signs and no ads , i had to ask the lady at the kiosk that wasnt a fountain of info exactly, may be suffering from depression..There were some tasteful covers of older maybe 19th century tunes , not so Big anyway. I wasnt able to check the outreach of the tx this year yet , but i recall during my struggles with the children - dead air  pretty soon after we drove off.
I dont know what part number 30 or 45 these are operated under or maybe an event permit. There is never any info , id or anything.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 0436 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Dude111

• View Profile
Part 15 FM from neighbor with a blingged out yard for Christmas.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 0216 UTC »
Hmmmm maybe ill scan the dial and see if there are many in my area on...

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 1903 UTC »
My town has one of those drive through light displays at the park. They used to clamp the tx and antenna to the water tower on the ridge above the display. It had spotty coverage. When they got a LPFM station, it took over covering the light display. No holes in the coverage for three or four towns around these days.