We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Reprogramming a €15 USB Audio Dial to work as an SDR VFO Knob  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Thank you to Tysonpower (aka Manuel DO5TY) for submitting information about how he's managed to convert a cheap €14.33 USB audio control dial into a VFO tuning knob for use in SDR programs like SDR-Console V3. He writes:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/reprogramming-a-e15-usb-audio-dial-to-work-as-an-sdr-vfo-knob/
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Reprogramming a €15 USB Audio Dial to work as an SDR VFO Knob
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 1212 UTC »
You might get the Big Guy's attention for this one, but if you don't try again after Christmas. He's normally on the roof looking for Santa and screaming about flying penguins until the holiday is over. It takes a few days for the tranquilizers wear off, try him the first week of January.

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 1246 UTC »
I saw that.  There are a number of similar controls on Amazon for about $25.  I don’t know if they have the same board inside, so the code may require modification.

In the past people would modify an old mouse to provide this (I don’t think the current optical mouses will work).  The no-detent EC16 encoder is a bit of a challenge to find - most of what you see will have detents.

http://www.qsl.net/z33t/sdr_frequency_controller_eng.html

It is not clear to me what the advantage is of the modified USB volume control over the modified mouse.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 1952 UTC »
You might get the Big Guy's attention for this one, but if you don't try again after Christmas. He's normally on the roof looking for Santa and screaming about flying penguins until the holiday is over. It takes a few days for the tranquilizers wear off, try him the first week of January.

If anything he's a never ending source of entertainment.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 1954 UTC »
I saw that.  There are a number of similar controls on Amazon for about $25.  I don’t know if they have the same board inside, so the code may require modification.

In the past people would modify an old mouse to provide this (I don’t think the current optical mouses will work).  The no-detent EC16 encoder is a bit of a challenge to find - most of what you see will have detents.

http://www.qsl.net/z33t/sdr_frequency_controller_eng.html

It is not clear to me what the advantage is of the modified USB volume control over the modified mouse.

I think the big draw is it's a nice knob and case already setup for the most part compared to modding meece into a vfo knob. Someone I know in the sdr industry is still working on a usb vfo, just takes time to go from idea to manufacturing..

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 2043 UTC »
There is the nice Elad TMate 2.  It only costs three times the cost of a RSP1A.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 0406 UTC »
When he gets it into production it will be a lot closer to the rtl sdrs in price.

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 2017 UTC »
The old Griffin PowerMate works for me.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire