We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Found in the AZ desert  (Read 1796 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Found in the AZ desert
« on: December 13, 2019, 1138 UTC »
Doesn't look quite like a weather balloon / radiosonde to me. Maybe one of the ham radio balloons? Or some other research project? Ideas?

We found this while hiking in a remote part of the desert west of Phoenix. I think it could be air pressure and other sensors and transmitter from a weather balloon. But my searches don't pull up similar stuff.
The whole thing:

Full article: https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/1190006-found-az-desert.html?fbclid=IwAR1aTdINFbdI1ATCHHN1-3V1sccILQuUqueThYDwqnRmM2hgg9v2S1SVegQ#post21243649
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline JCMaxwell

• Central NC, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Found in the AZ desert
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 1234 UTC »
FWIW looks like Ghidora makes gas sensors.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 2112 UTC by JCMaxwell »
IC-R9000L, FDM-S2, Belka DX, HF+ Discovery, RSPdx, IC-R30, BC125AT, PL-880 <- W6LVP Loop

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 1940 UTC »
Perhaps part of the program to detect chemical and biological attacks.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 2323 UTC »
Doesn't look like all of it was present.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 2359 UTC »
Now Al, you know that's a high altitude penguin detector.

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 0104 UTC »
You know better than that, Pigmeat. Penguins can't fly, so there's no such thing as a "high altitude penguin".

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 0301 UTC »
It's probably been there a while, judging from the corrosion and date codes on the parts.  My guess is some ham radio balloon thing.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 0424 UTC »
You know better than that, Pigmeat. Penguins can't fly, so there's no such thing as a "high altitude penguin".

Says the man who was raving about flying penguins buzzing his trailer while on the roof looking for Santa this time last year.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 1959 UTC »
It's probably been there a while, judging from the corrosion and date codes on the parts.  My guess is some ham radio balloon thing.

+-RH

I was thinking mil/gov as it seems similar to the mil electronics I've been into as far as construction and materials, teflon silver coax, fibreglass pcb, etc, compare it to the throw away radiosondes of today.

All I know for sure is if that thing was found by me it'd be in the back of my truck and out of the ao pronto. Kinda like that fool who found the end of a Russian sub trailing wire antenna on the beach and told everyone.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 1538 UTC »
Looking at the dents and dings in the equipment seems to indicate that it may have possibly fallen from a great height. So, weather balloon? Or some sort of other radio experiment aloft?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 2141 UTC »
That's what I was thinking, SB, but it's been nearly 50 years I've seen one of the things? The one I saw still had an attached but partially inflated balloon and a pack of kids hanging on to it as it crossed a pasture pulling it down. It had a brass plate with the return address of the NOAA on it.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 1314 UTC »
FWIW, the radiosondes I have seen are all very light weight, with styrofoam and cardboard housings, certainly not a metal chassis, to keep the weight down.  This seems too beefy to be a radiosonde?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 1829 UTC »
This doesn't solve the mystery but the yellowish nameplate is marked ISOTEMP Research Inc., and OCX0131-2 is also marked on the nameplate. An OCXO is an oven-controlled crystal oscillator. This type of oscillator achieves the highest frequency stability possible with a crystal.  Attached is an ISOTEMP data sheet for the OCXO 131 Series device ...http://www.isotemp.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/OCXO-131.pdf
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 1950 UTC »
Some high detail pics of the boards might help suss out what each board does. Also the date codes on any chips will tell us when they were made. Not very clandestine if the lettering/nomenclature is visible, so prolly not a nsa/cia thingy.