We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: When do you listen?  (Read 782 times)

Offline olddxer

• View Profile
    • Email
When do you listen?
« on: December 16, 2019, 1530 UTC »
I am just wondering when folks listen for pirates. It seems there are a few that might monitor almost 24 hr a day. I am sure that many that have jobs and can not listen at 8-5 during the week. Others may have part time jobs or are retired.

0001z-0600z
0601z-1200z
1201z-1800z
1801z-0000z

So, how about specifying the time frame that you most often listen. Feel free to break the times into smaller increments if you like. If you use automation to montior during one time slot and live during another that would be helpful as well.

Thanks
Anan 8000DLE, Drake R8B, NRD-515, Perseus SDR, a bunch of Hammarlunds, Inverted V multiband dipole

Merohde@columbus.rr.com

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: When do you listen?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 1558 UTC »
I record from about 2000-1000 UTC weekdays, and all day on weekends. Then I check the recordings in the morning. 

My live listening is usually in the late afternoon and very early evening, say 2000-2300 or so. Longer on the weekends of course, I'll check in the morning and afternoon for activity.

One thing I have been thinking about recently is frequencies...  43 meter has been the de facto pirate band for quite some time now. Say 6800-7000 kHz overall, most of the activity in the 6925-6955 range of course, with some stations outside that.

Recently there's more activity down on 4 and 5 MHz, due to the low solar activity, which of course makes sense from a propagation point of view. Most pirates are trying to use NVIS because they are in the same general area as their listeners. And when foF2 is 4 or 5 MHz, 43 meters is not open for NVIS.

With lots of us using SDRs, there is more of a chance of finding these other transmissions, but as they are spread around a bit, not as easy as when everyone is on 43 meters. I have a few SDRs but it's not really practical to record and check 3 bands all the time. I'd sorta like to lock all the ops in a room, and they can't come out until they pick one band segment to use in addition to 43 meters   :P
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: When do you listen?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 1901 UTC »

I just retired so I'm listening more frequently throughout the day.  Same pattern throughout the week, I generally don't listen before 1500 utc.  After that, it could be anytime of the day depending on what errands, chores, or activities keep me away from the radio.  Rarely do I listen past 0300 utc.  Most frequent time 1900-0100 utc daily.  All my listening is live, more than half the time while engaged in another activity.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)