We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Swishing sound??  (Read 1682 times)

Offline 45auto

• View Profile
    • Email
Swishing sound??
« on: December 16, 2019, 1629 UTC »
 This might be a repost, but last night I left my (base radio) Optima Mk3 transmitter on 27.455 USB.
  At approx 12 midnight, the radio went bonkers with a loud swishing sound.
  Like a high wind blowing.  Perhaps a guy was blowing upon his microphone.
  I have heard this before, now & again, but not this strong.
  Please teach this newbie what this is??

-45auto  Upstate NY

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Swishing sound??
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 1740 UTC »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline 45auto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 2042 UTC »
 Eeeek Gads!  This is crazy!
   How can they allow these contraptions?!?!
    At 12 midnight New York time, I figured it might be an Aurora Boraellis (solar wind)

Ohh gosh - 45auto

Offline Leonard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 0024 UTC »
Thats a really interesting read, I was hearing those sounds, to me its a circular tornado sound,, like a cartoon blender with the lid off,, the sound goes up in pitch, I'd be driving and out of no where comes this loud sound, and I'd wonder if its near or far. At one time I though it was the sound of conditions changing, but the best explanation I have read is in the link.

Matt285

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 0042 UTC »
After reading that its funny to think about  Scientific, Medical and Plasma being terms for an area where us simpletons make use of. (As stated myself included) That's the spectrum though, room for everyone. Lol

Offline 45auto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 1410 UTC »
 This makes me angry.
  The FCC claim we are all running out of spectrum, therefore we must use narrowband to "make space".   
  Yet they allow these Fish Hook Welders to operate with HUGE band hogging wattage?
  My wife explains the political powers in government, pay your legislators huge cash,  do special favors and they
 will clear the path for your Godzilla Radio Welders!   
   Like the new VHF CB channels called MURS.  If you monitor these new channels, they are getting occupied by robotic devices.
   Digital dog collars, driveway alerts, ETC.        This allows good commercial business, create more jobs at the expense of VHF MURS listeners (unless you enjoy the digital hash) 

Share your thoughts?   Grrrrr!    -45auto Upstate NY

Offline Leonard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 1528 UTC »
You will have to read the rfi problems in Eham. A forum for ham radio, so many are upset with grow lights, solar inverters, and cheap chinese switching power supplies that are used in everything.
At the moment I have no problems with rfi..
On another note, I wish there was more analog signals, yesterday the police helicopter was circling and I couldn't listen like I used to so easily, no digital equipment.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 2226 UTC »
In the future, radio collectives will utilise remote rx sites located far from noise sources, with splendid antenna arrays, solar power/batteries, and a full time technician present.

However, this will do nothing for propagated noise sources.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns