We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Discone antennas  (Read 1629 times)

Matt285

Discone antennas
« on: December 16, 2019, 2359 UTC »
I'm looking forward to purchasing an RSP Dx SDR receiver and want to utilize the 3 antenna ports. I plan to use one with my 135' OCF dipole, One with a small loop and another for VHF/UHF frequencies. It seems so far like a Discone would be logical for this. I don't know if I will be able to shell out the money for a Diamond discone, but also want to know what a decent compromise discone such has a Tram model would be. My main focus will be HF, but I want to make use of as much spectrum as possible.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: Discone antennas
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 0416 UTC »
The Diamond D130J is a nice antenna, well built stainless construction.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 0434 UTC »
They're all going to perform about the same if they have a vertical element. The diff will be in construction materials, some use cheap hollow aluminium tubing that the wind will eventually break. Pick one and use good coax, lmr, 9913, etc.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 0435 UTC by Josh »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 1138 UTC »
I bought a Sirio Antenna SD2000N Discone antenna a year and a half ago, very pleased with it. I wrote a review here: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,42993.0.html

It's mounted up at the top of a tree, that was the easiest way to get it as high as possible. I used the Big Shot to launch the rope straight up along the side of the tree, so I could have a clear path to pull the antenna up.

Big Shot review: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,60415.0.html

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 2329 UTC »
https://www.mpantenna.com/product/uhf-vhf-antenna-08-ant-0861/

I have the mobile one on my car. It picks up Fltsatcom like a champ. And, it looks goofy as heck.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire