We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Realistic (Radioshack) DX-394  (Read 2150 times)

Matt285

Realistic (Radioshack) DX-394
« on: December 24, 2019, 1357 UTC »
I was trying to give some advice on another forum for new guys looking for receivers under $150.00 and thought about the DX-394. I know it's not the greatest rig, but to someone new to the hobby it is a true tabletop that can be grounded and handle real antennas. Please post any feedback you have from owning or just operating one. Thanks

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Realistic (Radioshack) DX-394
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 1533 UTC »
Good all around listening and SWL radio. Very sensitive. Won't need a massive antenna. I got worldwide reception on an indoor wire, about 20-30 ft (10 meters or so). The USB and LSB will be a khz or so off in the readout, which is no big deal -- it doesn't affect the performance of the radio. In high signals areas a longer wire probably would overload a 394, but there's an attenuator setting on the back of it.

High Z and low Z antenna jacks on the back of the radio, also came with a small whip.

Fine tuning is easy to use for SSB and CW.

Audio filters only (no variable RF/IF bandwidth). You don't notice it all that much for most applications. If you're into utes / data / etc., I don't know how it does for that. I used mine for SWL and ham monitoring, and it's an easy to operate radio.

The memories are easy to use. Mode switch is mechanical.

Some crosstalk if you have a ham station signal a few khz away that's extra strong, but in my case it wasn't that much of an issue.

If the DX-394 starts tuning in only one direction, squirt tuner cleaner or Deoxit down the side of the main tuner shaft. Enough will get into the rotary (mechanical) mechanism to clean it and stop the problem (in the past some on the internet claimed the main tuner mechanism is optical -- they are incorrect -- the parts list shows it's a mechanical tuner with physical contacts). This issue isn't common -- but when it happened to my 394 and I did some research there were at least two mentions online, and no one thought to squirt cleaner down the side of the shaft (it has just enough play to allow some through).

Ironically, I haven't tried my 394 on MW -- had other radios I've used for that. I know some guys have used them for MW. After an hour or so (? -- not sure of the time frame) some 394's will decrease in sensitivity on MW and you just turn the radio off and back on again, resets something in the microprocessor or another part of the radio and you're good to go again. The Yahoo 394 eGroup had a small article or post explaining the cause. Switching the power on and off is an easy fix, not that big a deal.

Some guys on the eGroup said 394s are easy to mod and/or work on, because of the layout. I did no mods on mine -- not into modding radios much, and surface mount doesn't agree with me.

Hope this helps.

Mine still fires up and works. It's a shame that the ionosphere mostly isn't. :-)
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 1542 UTC »
Thank you BoomboxDX for the thorough review. I know there are a lot of mods for this receiver as well. There use to to a guy that went by Lowbander who was known to be the guy when it came to modifying them. He would do just about every mod for around $75.00 plus the shipping back to you. Hope he's still round?

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 1357 UTC »
That reminds me: there is apparently a trick to get the DX-394 to tune all the way down to VLF range. I can't remember how it's done, and although it apparently works, the radio's circuits aren't tuned for low ranges.... One would need a great antenna or other outboard piece of equipment to hear anything decently -- at least that's what I remember reading somewhere.

Another reason, perhaps, to consider the radio.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).