We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Don Imus, Legendary 'Imus in the Morning' Host, Dies at 79  (Read 1945 times)

Offline aurora

• DX Legend
  • Pittsburgh, PA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Don Imus, Legendary 'Imus in the Morning' Host, Dies at 79
« on: December 27, 2019, 2235 UTC »
The controversial radio personality passed away on Friday morning at Baylor Scott and White Medical Center in College Station, Texas.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/don-imus-legendary-imus-morning-host-dies-at-79-1265052?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

I remember tuning into Imus in the Morning before heading off to school in my younger years. RIP
eQSLs appreciated! Send to: aurora6925 (at) mail.com
Icom 756Pro3 rig & 133 ft Carolina-Windom ant
Pittsburgh PA

Online flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Don Imus, Legendary 'Imus in the Morning' Host, Dies at 79
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 1433 UTC »
We were listening to Imus at work on the morning of 9/11. We always had him on.

After 9/11 he stopped using his "Explosion" sound effect to abruptly end someone's commentary he didn't agree with. He then started using  Sister Mary Elephant's famous line "SHUUUUUT UUUUUP"!!!!! from Cheech and Chong.

Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 1459 UTC »
I wonder if Howard Stern will come through on his promise of a shovel-by-shovel remote broadcast live from the funeral?

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 1904 UTC »
“I’ll tell you how this works, I talk and you listen.”  ......and so a Radio Hall of Famer of the brightest magnitude shone.

On a personal note, this is about the saddest news I’ve had this year.  I first learned of John Donald while falling asleep to a NY Ranger game at age 14 in 1971.  I was awakened the next morning by Moby Worm demolishing someone’s school on request.  That followed by Right Reverend Billy Sol Hargas.  I was hooked in 30 minutes to follow the rest of his career.

He was not controversial, he was brilliant. Charles McCord’s writing with Imus’ delivery and spontaneous razor sharp wit made the New Yorker’s New Yorker.

I had the good fortunate to talk to him on the air live a few times, recorded on tape.  While 14 he asked if I wished to be 15, I said Yes.  He told me to hang up.  He sent me his baseball cards, I bought “1,200 hamburgers.....”

I had the blessing to hear him pre-simulcast and network.  He was better earlier, his biting NY-centric barbs had to be curtailed for a national audience.

Something Imus is rarely credited is saving sports radio.  WFAN was in the throes of financial ruin before his arrival.  His return to 660 on the dial saved the station, the lone sports station in the country, and thus the format.

The manifestation of his genius was the move from pure satirical comedy to a balance of politics and intellectual humor.  His show was the place to go if you were a politician of any note.  Bill Clinton’s rebound in the ‘92 primary is often credited to his appearance on Imus.

I guess it is appropriate to conclude with Imus’ signature tongue in cheek close, “Keep those cards and letters.”
and as the Right Reverend would end, “Put your hands on your radio.  Say Hallelujah, Say Amen.”

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 1924 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 1924 UTC »
something about being nappy headed goes here
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 2012 UTC »

You are not incorrect, Josh.  But I will take the biting, cutting remark as your homage to the late Mr. Imus   ;).
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 2044 UTC »
“I talk to millions of people every day,” he said while riding home in a limousine after one show. “I just like it when they can’t talk back.”
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 1533 UTC »
A dried up, angry ol' cokehead who got all his good material from his running buddies Kinky Friedman and Larry "Ratso" Sloman.

Fansome

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 1859 UTC »
I always preferred the real hard-core shock jocks, like Rick Dees.

A dried up, angry ol' cokehead who got all his good material from his running buddies Kinky Friedman and Larry "Ratso" Sloman.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 2132 UTC »
"Disco Duck" is one of about 5 or 6 disco songs that I ever liked.....

QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 2204 UTC »

I once saw a print ad for some rum and cigar event in Las Vegas in the mid-90's endorsed by Rick Dees that called him "The Arbiter of Cool". I couldn't help but think, "He's no Wink Martindale."

If you ever get chance to see Kinky, go. He's something to behold. He's another fella that follows Slim Whitman's example in style. He always wears red socks, but neither of us have been able to get Slim's pencil thin mustache just right.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 2210 UTC »

You are not incorrect, Josh.  But I will take the biting, cutting remark as your homage to the late Mr. Imus   ;).

Lol never even heard of him till the nappy incident.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Dude111

• View Profile
Don Imus, Legendary 'Imus in the Morning' Host, Dies at 79
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 0103 UTC »
Yup this is quite sad....... I remember listening to him :(