We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Using Carrier Sleuth to identity when potential DX targets fade in  (Read 1675 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Carrier Sleuth generates very high resolution waterfalls from I/Q recording files made by several SDR (Software Defined Radio) programs:
https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/medium_wave_carrier_display_app.html

Here's a plot of a portion of my overnight MW recording, showing the zoo of carriers on 1710 kHz. The Hudson County and Flight 93 TIS stations are the two in the center. Over to the right side at 1710.023 or so is the elusive Springfield Armory TIS.

At around 0518 UTC, Carrier Sleuth shows a brief increase in the signal level. Using mySdrPlayback ( https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/sdr_iq_recording_playback_program.html ) to play the audio for that time period, I was able to indeed hear the Springfield TIS. This is much more efficient than listening to potentially hours of recordings (or live audio) hoping for a DX catch.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Fried Chickin'

• 42.981404457113206, -70.96033285219448
  • High strangeness in life and on the airwaves...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Using Carrier Sleuth to identity when potential DX targets fade in
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 2251 UTC »
Fascinating! I would love to try this out with my Airspy...
L.V.X.

EQSL to hfvoodoo@protonmail.com...73~

Loops & Wires & Love of radio waves...