We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Vinyl Record Industry Fears 'Vinylgeddon'  (Read 1344 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Vinyl Record Industry Fears 'Vinylgeddon'
« on: February 09, 2020, 1516 UTC »
Vinyl Record Industry Fears 'Vinylgeddon' After Fire Burns Down Apollo Masters Plant

The California plant is one of only two in the world that manufactures lacquers, vital to the production of vinyl records.

The manufacturing and storage facility for Apollo Masters Corp. -- a Banning, Calif.-based manufacturing plant that supplies the lacquer used for making master discs, which are then used to create vinyl records -- has burned down in a massive fire, the company confirmed in a statement posted to its official website.

In an email to Billboard, Gil Tamazyan -- founder and president of the California-based vinyl pressing plant Capsule Labs -- noted that while it is "too soon to know" how badly the plant's destruction will affect vinyl supply, he predicts the incident "will cause a hindrance in some major way" before a solution can be found. "Unless something happens really quickly, there will soon be Vinylgeddon," said Tamazyan, who estimates that Apollo supplies 80% of blank lacquer master discs globally.

Full Story https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8550477/vinyl-record-industry-apollo-masters-plant-fire
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Vinyl Record Industry Fears 'Vinylgeddon'
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 1428 UTC »
I saw a piece on the Discovery Channel about that place a couple of years back. If you saw how small it was, and the size of their work force per shift, you would worry about Vinylgeddon, too.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 2138 UTC »
If they could just increase the fidelity and bandwidth of the Edison phonograph cylinder....
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 0032 UTC »
If they could just increase the fidelity and bandwidth of the Edison phonograph cylinder....

I suspect running time was a bigger drawback.  Most of the fidelity limitations were due to period methods of recording and playback, coupled with primitive manufacturing methods and levels of accuracy.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me