We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: North American Reprieve for "Encore" (Radio Tumbril)  (Read 646 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
North American Reprieve for "Encore" (Radio Tumbril)
« on: February 21, 2020, 1342 UTC »

I have enjoyed the Classical Music programs of "Encore" by Radio Tumbril since its recent inception.  A couple of weeks ago, I received an email that transmissions to North American would be curtailed.  I am delighted to report that WRMI will be sponsoring the broadcast.  This morning's email:

" EUROPE:
This coming weekend Encore - Classical Music on Radio Tumbril will be broadcast at 11:00 UTC on SATURDAY on 6070 kHz by Channel 292.
There are two repeats - 19:00 UTC Friday on 6070 kHz, and 09:00 UTC on Sunday on 7440 kHz by Channel 292.

NORTH AMERICA:
WWCR Nashville will broadcast Encore on Saturday at 21:00 UTC as usual on 9350 kHz. The propagation is very good over the US and much of Canada and the signal carries to parts of western Europe too.

WBCQ Maine will send out the show on 7490 kHz at 01:00 UTC Monday to the US. (Early evening  Sunday local US - obviously.)

Up until a few days ago we thought that Radio Tumbril would have to stop broadcasting Encore to the USA and Canada because funds run out at the end of the month.
However - and very happily - WRMI have offered to sponsor Encore and broadcast the show from Florida each week.

The new transmission times on WRMI will be:  5850 kHz 01:00 UTC Sunday and 9455 kHz 03:00 UTC Monday. This will begin on 29th February.

The last transmission of Encore by WWCR from Nashville will be Saturday 29th February 21:00 UTC.

Our email is   encoretumbril@gmail.com.

This week's programme will begin with medieval bladder pipes followed by some Poulenc piano music and three pieces from Handel's Messiah. Then we will have a complete string quartet by Janáček - the Kreutzer Sonata. After that the show will end with three pieces by - or inspired by - Steve Reich and Philip Glass.
The playlist is on the website and will be updated soon after Saturday's broadcast of the new show by Channel 292 at 11:00 UTC - but probably not until Sunday evening.

Both Channel 292 and WBCQ as well as WWCR can be pulled live off the internet if the reception is poor in your location. Easy to find their sites with a google search.

In the meantime - thank you for spreading the word about Encore - Classical Music on Shortwave. And thank you to everyone for letting us know how well the signal is received where you live.

Brice Avery - Encore - Radio Tumbril -  www.tumbril.co.uk

Regular Broadcast times are:
11:00 - 12:00 UTC Saturday on 6070 kHz and repeated 19:00 - 20:00 UTC Friday on 6070 kHz Channel 292 (Germany) and 09:00 UTC Sunday on 7440 kHz.
21:00 - 22:00 UTC Saturday on 9350 kHz WWCR (Nashville).
01:00 - 02:00 UTC Monday on 7490 kHz WBCQ - (Maine)."
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns