We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: 22m Beacon  (Read 111 times)

Offline IZS4

• Florida
    • View Profile
22m Beacon
« on: January 10, 2020, 0029 UTC »
Is it considered against the rules or against FCC guidelines to use something like a G5RV or EDZ dipole antenna (more gain) to use on a low wattage beacon? I know a standard dipole or vertical is the norm. Just curious.
Listening on an Icom-718 with a 135' OCF dipole or a Grundig G3 and MLA-30 when portable.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: 22m Beacon
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 1106 UTC »
Is it considered against the rules or against FCC guidelines to use something like a G5RV or EDZ dipole antenna (more gain) to use on a low wattage beacon? I know a standard dipole or vertical is the norm. Just curious.

FCC regulations for a 22 meter Part 15 beacon are FIELD STRENGTH BASED. Not transmitter power based. See this for more information: http://www.w1tag.com/Hifer2.pdf

Do NOT just put one on the air without FULLY understanding the requirements and limitations, or you will almost certainly be in violation of Part 15 regulations.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 670 ft horizontal loop / 500 ft northeast beverage / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD/ 300 ft south beverage / 43m / 20m / 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline IZS4

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 1159 UTC »
Just read. Thanks
Listening on an Icom-718 with a 135' OCF dipole or a Grundig G3 and MLA-30 when portable.

Offline Ed H

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 2032 UTC »
As Chris stated, the regulation is based on field strength. That equates, IIRC to about 2 mW into a vertical, or 4 mW into a dipole. Of course, what you are able to put up for an antenna will have some bearing, as will the local environment, on losses. But there's no point, obviously, in an antenna with gain. For a beacon, you want relatively uniform radiation in all directions anyway, to maximise the chance of reception.

The restrictions are pretty tight, but that is what seems to make HiFERs fun to many of us who operate and listen at 22 m.

Cheers

Ed

Offline IZS4

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 2355 UTC »
Thanks Ed. Yes I was ignorant about the topic, but after reading the attached article by Chris I understand that the concept is not just a matter of Mwatts into an antenna. I will make sure everything is up to par when I decide to proceed. I have starting working on modifying a power supply at work and have done some calculations to install components to get the proper voltage drop I would need.