We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Poor conditions (noob)  (Read 2964 times)

Offline OgreVorbis

• View Profile
    • DosaidSoft
    • Email
Poor conditions (noob)
« on: January 13, 2020, 0402 UTC »
Hey,

I'm not a noob to radio, but propagation (other than the more obvious non-planetary/solar noise stuff) has not been something I really understand very well. I do understand the solar cycles to some extent, but I am curious about the more frequent changes in propagation that can be seen on a daily or weekly basis. What is the biggest determining factor in that?

I noticed the last couple days that the propagation has been some of the worst I've seen since I started listening about a year and a half ago. What is causing this and when is it likely to clear up?
Radio and Programming Blog: http://dosaidsoft.com/wp/

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Poor conditions (noob)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 0427 UTC »
Not an expert here, but the sun's output varies from day to day, even minute to minute. That's why the K and A indices change.

Why the effects of that difference in solar output varies from region to region, even in the same latitude, I wouldn't know.

The auroral radio zone can vary also, which is why northern latitudes have different prop than the more southerly latitudes.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 1854 UTC »
The best part is when things are great, sigs are strong and steady, and then they're gone, like someone flipped a switch.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Matt285

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 0116 UTC »
Unfortunately we are on the down side of things, but all you can do is receive or transceive as much as you can. I can remember the days like most people on the forum of amazing contacts, but hey it is what it is and there are still catches to be had here and there. I get a bit depressed personally if I think about it on a daily basis, so I try not to. With that being said I do respect those who follow on a regular basis. It's people like you that post updates for people like me with their head in the sand like an Ostrich.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 1158 UTC »
Conditions have been wonderful on the lower bands, Lately I've been receiving pirates from Greece on MW. And it is nice to not have nearly continuous solar flares and CMEs, wrecking the geomagnetic field for days or weeks.

Solar minimum isn't a bug, it's a feature.  :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 1311 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 1931 UTC »
The hell it is, 40 and 80 were dead last night. Must be my timing.

Offline nickcarr3151

• Bellevue, WA
  • The only easy day was yesterday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 1324 UTC »
HF conditions were super yesterday and seem to be really good this morning as well.
Perseus SDR + Wellbrook ALA100LN (60m loop), Wellbrook 1530S+
ICOM 7000 + Zero-Five 10/40 GP Vertical
Xiegu G90
Motorola XPR/XTS Portables, Uniden scanners, Whistler Scanners
Airspy Mini SDR + DSDPlus + Diamond D3000N Discone

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 1804 UTC »
Conditions have been wonderful on the lower bands, Lately I've been receiving pirates from Greece on MW. And it is nice to not have nearly continuous solar flares and CMEs, wrecking the geomagnetic field for days or weeks.

Solar minimum isn't a bug, it's a feature.  :)

Agreed.  Poor conditions on higher frequencies doesn't mean that there isn't fun to be had elsewhere.  Take our operation for example; when conditions on 43M started taking a nose dive, we modified out operating practices.  We are using more power than before, but not by any large magnitude.  The real difference was made by going down to 4 MHz during the winter months, and 6.3 MHz during the summer, where the MUF was more usable, and with less interference.

I also remember a number of nights closer to the peak where I would be heading out, only to find out after I was setup that we had a CME and conditions were poor.  Mimimum is not a bad thing!

+-RH
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 1806 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 2045 UTC »
This is why I miss " '73 Magazine". Tomas Hood could set up a prop chart a month in advance that was nearly flawless.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 2324 UTC »
The good news is we've not hit rock bottom yet.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 2343 UTC »
The good news is we've not hit rock bottom yet.

Depending on your respective perspective, that is also the bad news  ???
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 0104 UTC »
I suppose it makes for easier listening when everyone is forced to operate below 10MHz or so.

Offline deallyn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 1535 UTC »
80 meters is horrible for using right now..what happened?