We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WCCO 830 AM 0710 UTC 12 Jan 2020  (Read 745 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
WCCO 830 AM 0710 UTC 12 Jan 2020
« on: January 13, 2020, 0420 UTC »
I tuned in to hear “Eye on Travel with Peter Greenberg” talking about the 737 MAX troubles, which I matched with WCCO’s online stream. The fair signal slowly faded over the next 15-20 minutes, but it stayed mostly on top of KNCO in California; I heard the show come back from the break at 0733 UTC.

This clear-channel station runs 50 kW; the distance is 1,371 miles from me. My new Eton Elite Field, paired with the Tecsun loop, is indeed pulling in MW stations my Grundig Eton Satellit doesn't.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: WCCO 830 AM 0710 UTC 12 Jan 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 1328 UTC »
A little history on this one...   WCCO has been around for a long time running 50kw since the early 1930s
and on 830 since the early 1940s.  At one time, it had the 830 spot all to itself except for a couple of 1kw
stations: KBOA, a daytimer in Missouri, and 24hr WNYC in NY.  KBOA is now on 1540 and WNYC can be found
at 820.  However, WCCO now shares 830 with about 15 other stations.  Nonetheless, the WCCO signal dominates
the upper Midwest day and night. 
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
Re: WCCO 830 AM 0710 UTC 12 Jan 2020
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 1941 UTC »
That KNCO signal on 830 annoys me. There are a quite a few frequencies out here that would still be "clear channels" if it weren't for mid-power stations in California.

Thanks for posting the history of the station. I minored in history in college and thought about majoring in it, so one of my favorite things to do while hunting mediumwave stations is to look up the history of the stations I hear.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop