We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Hinsdale Neighbors Fight Plans To Install 5G Cell Service, Citing Health Worries  (Read 1687 times)

Fansome

Hinsdale Neighbors Fight Plans To Install 5G Cell Service, Citing Health Worries
By Jermont Terry
January 13, 2020 at 11:00 pm
Filed Under:5G, 5G Cell Service, 5G Cell Towers, Hinsdale, Jermont Terry, Stop 5G

HINSDALE, Ill. (CBS) — Downloads will improve and cell service will get better, so everyone wants 5G faster internet – right?

Wrong.

5G internet also means more cellphone towers – which will appear every 12 homes in some neighborhoods. As CBS 2’s Jermont Terry reported Monday night, some in west suburban Hinsdale are not on board because they question the health risks.

In Hinsdale, wooden sticks are already in the ground where cell companies intend to put up cellphone towers. But the towers will not be 20 or 30 feet high and soaring over all the houses, and that is leaving some believing there is a bigger price to pay for downloading faster.

Paige Glendinning, Christine Trainer, and Fariha DiPasquale are all Hinsdale moms. The trio is on a mission to stop 5G from coming to town.

“This could be really bad,” DiPasquale said.

They said the 5G proposal does not just affect Hinsdale – Western Springs, Naperville, and Schaumburg would also be affected.

A few months back, those wooden sticks popped up in yards throughout the western suburbs.

“That was placed here by Verizon as a proposed site for a 5G transmitter,” Glendinning said.

Wireless companies insist 5G is expected to be 100 times faster than current speeds. But in order for the bands to travel, more transmitters are needed in closer proximity, and thus, the signal will be carried on smaller towers that can fit on top of a light pole.

“We are not against technology,” Trainer said.

But the Stop 5G group questions just how safe all these smaller towers will be for those who walk and live nearby.

“But before we become sort of the canary that is subjected to all of this, we want to actually have that data on safety be proven,” DiPasquale said.

Many of the towers are expected to be near schools.

“And we know from other levels of technology far below the 5G levels that bone marrow of a child absorbs 10 times the radiation of an adult,” Glendinning said.

The companies pushing 5G insist what the towers transmit is safe – but there is no concrete testing leaning for or against it, and until then, the Stop 5G group believes the project should halt.

Fliers are popping up. The concerned moms expect hundreds to attend a town hall on Wednesday.

“We want people to be just educated on what 5G is, what the technology is, and what the rollout means for our communities, and what they can do about it,” Trainer said.

Besides the potential health concern, people don’t want ugly cell towers in their front yards. They are concerned the towers will bring down property values.

The town hall on the subject will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday at The Community House, at 415 W. 8th St. in Hinsdale.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tell them to hand in their iPhones and see what they say....

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Stay out of the Chicago area, Al, your brain bubbles will burst!

We have a number of parcels of land in a family trust, my Great-Grandfather was a true miser. When the Depression hit, he bought up every little farm he could get his hands on, he liked evicting people. My Grandparents put a clause in the trust banning cell towers in the 90's, they thought they were ugly. People in sizable sections of two counties can't get cell service. Pissing people off is a family pastime.

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
These people are all over and like seeing their name in the paper. My kids attend preschool at a local community center. Think a YMCA type deal. This place is great, but is strapped for cash since their revenue largely comes from gym memberships. But other gyms are popping up everywhere and eating into their bottom line. They got very close to shutting down.

So a while back crews from Verizon showed up, and put a large cellular array on the roof, which they very quickly boxed in with discrete panels, so the whole thing resembles rooftop HVAC equipment, and not a cell site. The community center never informed the membership, which I think was wise, and they are surely adding to their much needed bottom line with the rent from this cell site.

One of my kids spent 5 years literally directly under this array, within 20-30 feet, and the other kid will be there for the next 3 years. Not a single kid or adult has gotten sick.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
One of my kids spent 5 years literally directly under this array, within 20-30 feet, and the other kid will be there for the next 3 years. Not a single kid or adult has gotten sick.

But curiously have developed a strange obsession with boat-anchor radios.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
"One of my kids spent 5 years literally directly under this array"

That's the safest place to be because they are high gain antennas. All of the radiation is toward the horizon. And it's not even in the microwave bands. Probably 1900 MHZ.

~

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
Tell them to hand in their iPhones and see what they say....

Take the cell phone away from your head, get away from the router above your head in the workplace, get the WiFi-equipped laptop off your lap and use sunscreen frequently before you start worrying about 5G, please.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 2035 UTC by KaySeeks »
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
In my line of work, I'll worry more about the joint aches I get after spending 30 minutes at a high power am site..or the end fire off a full c fm...or that leaky switch at a tv site thank you.  I've heard of a lot of am broadcast engineers developing brain cancer in their later years.   Cellular is the least of my worries.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
For decades radio stations housed the studios and the transmitter in the same building and the stick on the same lot. A lot of the engineers got cancer from their multi-day shifts at these stations, including a childhood friend of mine, who didn't make it to 50.

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
In my line of work, I'll worry more about the joint aches I get after spending 30 minutes at a high power am site

Probably related:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation_and_health#Shortwave

Shortwave (1.6 to 30 MHz) diathermy can be used as a therapeutic technique for its analgesic effect and deep muscle relaxation, but has largely been replaced by ultrasound. Temperatures in muscles can increase by 4–6 °C, and subcutaneous fat by 15 °C. The FCC has restricted the frequencies allowed for medical treatment, and most machines in the US use 27.12 MHz.[21] Shortwave diathermy can be applied in either continuous or pulsed mode. The latter came to prominence because the continuous mode produced too much heating too rapidly, making patients uncomfortable. The technique only heats tissues that are good electrical conductors, such as blood vessels and muscle. Adipose tissue (fat) receives little heating by induction fields because an electrical current is not actually going through the tissues.[22]

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 2034 UTC by KaySeeks »
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
There was a preacher back in the mid 90's who worked the revival circuit on the Great Plains. His healing tool? An export CB hooked to a custom made amp that outputted about 35 kW. He had the faithful sit in steel chairs in a circle around the thing and a huge dummy load while he shouted, "Do you feel the healing warmth of God's love?" For some reason he got locked up?

A reporter who attended one of his sermons said you couldn't touch anything metallic without getting shocked. Better than goat glands if you ask me.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
If they can just get these things to mimic direct to brain penguin envenomation symptoms.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns