We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: part 15 distance records  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Tim Bucknall

• View Profile
    • Email
part 15 distance records
« on: August 25, 2018, 1250 UTC »
is anyone keeping score?

AM & FM would both be interesting

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: part 15 distance records
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 0443 UTC »
I had an ersatz Part 15 in the 80s (an AM broadcast RAdio Shack P-box), and I ran higher power than the transistor was designed for (18V instead of 9V), and it was clearly audible on my portable radio over two blocks away. I had it tuned to an empty spot in the 1400's.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 2358 UTC »
There was a local guy that had a range of about 2-4 miles on AM in the daytime depending on the time of year. I heard the carrier 6 miles away, but w/ no audio.

It was straight up legal, but he'd been at this stuff for years, he knows how to tweak it. I couldn't believe it.

I fooled w/ 10 mW's of FM and a wire dipole on and off for a few years. I live on the end of a ridge and have some height. I could get a half mile, give or take, depending on whether the leaves were out. That one was strictly by the book and surprised me. I was thinking a couple of hundred yards, tops. I just wanted to hit the bars at the bottom of the hill at closing time.

The tx was one of the infamous Ramsey 10 series, a noted spur generator. I live on the flight path to two airports. I wasn't about to amplify that noisemaker. No point in pissing off two Gov. agencies.

Offline Tim Bucknall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 1747 UTC »
Cool stories guys, thanks

Offline Tim Bucknall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 0739 UTC »
I've imported a talking house tx to England, as a tech novice the auto ATU is a godsend.

The Stepdown transformer doesn't seem to have compromised the txs inbuilt earth system

I initially tried the top of the expanded band as recommended by the instructions but it's much happier lower down.

Yesterday I got 4 miles on car radio on 1440 which is currently empty in Europe but not for long

My goal is to have the carrier spotted as a trace by the carrier monitoring guys at DX distance with their ultra sensitive set ups

I guess you could call it a medfer with voice loop basically.

I'm a frustrated AM dxer, the band is lost to noise here but I still want to do something with this fascinating band before noise kills the hobby everywhere.

We're having somewhat of a LPFM boom in England right now, with most operating in the hazy area between I-TRIP and  0.5 watt pirate with an eBay tx

A few Sundays back I think we must have hit peak LPFM.
At a local hilltop the band was full of stereo blank carriers as well as the music pirates
From home the same day using an FFT display, I counted at least 5 permanently on  stereo carriers on 108 with associated stereo sidebands.

That seems to have been an exceptional day.
It's nice to see, none are strong enough to  interfere with dxing

It would be nice to get your part 15 regs pasted into UK law after Brexit, it encourages science and engineering skills and would provide relief from the hideously dull state of commercial radio in the UK.
Our community radio stations were supposed to do this but outside the big cities CR just copies commercial radio formats

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 0812 UTC by Tim Bucknall »

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 1546 UTC »
For am daytime use you might want to go vertical due the d layer absorption, d layer devours vertical polarity least. After sundown it doesn't make much diff save for in the near field when you want the rx and tx polarity to be the same as the losses from polarity mismatch can be high, d layer goes away with sunset.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Ham Radio (and occasionally Part 15) Blog
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 1735 UTC »
It would be nice to get your part 15 regs pasted into UK law after Brexit, it encourages science and engineering skills and would provide relief from the hideously dull state of commercial radio in the UK.

I'm in the US, and really appreciate the relatively generous allowances provided for by our Part 15 regulations for the AM band, contained in 15.219. However, New Zealand have us all beat. I would love to have the ability to run 1 watt license-free on the FM band, as described in this article from Radio Survivor. Just imagine how cool that would be!

http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2017/01/03/new-zealand-legal-unlicensed-low-power-fm/

Our community radio stations were supposed to do this but outside the big cities CR just copies commercial radio formats

I think some radio enthusiasts just want to "sound like the big guys", seemingly unaware that what the big guys are doing is largely devoid of creativity, individuality, and personality.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 1737 UTC by AA7EE »
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

Offline Matt_B

• Southwestern CT, USA
    • View Profile
    • Radio Free Connecticut
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 1523 UTC »
I had an ersatz Part 15 in the 80s (an AM broadcast RAdio Shack P-box), and I ran higher power than the transistor was designed for (18V instead of 9V), and it was clearly audible on my portable radio over two blocks away. I had it tuned to an empty spot in the 1400's.

How'd you not fry the thing? LOL.
Matt Boland
Southwestern CT
Owner/Operator, "Radio Free Connecticut"
PS4: JupBol16

Offline Matt_B

• Southwestern CT, USA
    • View Profile
    • Radio Free Connecticut
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 1528 UTC »
For am daytime use you might want to go vertical due the d layer absorption, d layer devours vertical polarity least. After sundown it doesn't make much diff save for in the near field when you want the rx and tx polarity to be the same as the losses from polarity mismatch can be high, d layer goes away with sunset.

Speaking of technical stuff.....my station can get out about 1400 feet, which covers a lot of potential listeners in my neighborhood (I live on what is basically my town's main street/commercial area).  I would love to get a bit more range, though....nothing like three miles, but maybe a mile to a mile and a half would work. 

Scratching my head as to how to do this.....my situation is such that I cannot put an antenna outdoors (I rent an apartment on the ground floor of my building).  Any thoughts?
Matt Boland
Southwestern CT
Owner/Operator, "Radio Free Connecticut"
PS4: JupBol16

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 1612 UTC »
Speaking of technical stuff.....my station can get out about 1400 feet, which covers a lot of potential listeners in my neighborhood (I live on what is basically my town's main street/commercial area).  I would love to get a bit more range, though....nothing like three miles, but maybe a mile to a mile and a half would work.

I can just barely reach the end of my driveway  :)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 1926 UTC »
Hey Matt_B!!!! Try going Carrier-Current if you are APT bound. That's how I started out, with a Panaxis AM-100 TX, (100mW TX.), to a 100uH coil and Neutral Injected that. How did it work? I was GND Floor of an APT complex and it covered into several buildings. So, not bad. Today, I have some better gear and use either the LPB T-8, or the Radio Systems CP-15, AM C-C Couplers. BTW, if you can, best to use an Independent GND rod to the Coupler. Also, look for any books about the subject from Ernest Wilson and James R.Cunningham to download and apply. A lot of stuff you can build yourself, and you might have to, since anytime LPB and RS stuff come up on ebay, they get bought out almost immediately. So, someone wants that stuff, badly.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns