We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UHF/VHF repeater activity  (Read 1745 times)

Matt285

UHF/VHF repeater activity
« on: January 20, 2020, 2031 UTC »
I don't use UHF/VHF very often, but when I do I notice the activity is way down from what it use to be. Yes I do no that it has declined over the years, but it seems unusually low these days. Are people using some type of digital platform for repeaters? I live near a fairly large city that always had lots of activity in years before.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Re: UHF/VHF repeater activity
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 0603 UTC »
DMR, Yeasu (con)Fusion and D-star are the main ones. There are others too.

DMR is super cheap but takes some configuring. I like Fusion but YMMV.

Regards.

Stretchy.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 1319 UTC »
Im guessing thats what most are using. Back when I was very active mobile, Echolink was the new big thing.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 1509 UTC »
A touch passé these days!
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Matt285

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 1538 UTC »
Yes. For sure. I remember punching in that first node number in and bringing up a repeater out of the country. It was ground breaking at the time! I wonder if anyone still monitors the FM simplex frequency 146.520? That was always fun. There used to be two guys about 90 miles South from me that ran Cushcraft 26B's vertcal. They made up for my small antenna with all that gain. It always seemed like a bit of a waste to have so much metal in the air for FM, but to each their own.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 1748 UTC »
Yeah, I'll still keep my 2M rig on National Simplex, 146.520MHz, as well as 146.580MHz as a secondary where I am. On the repeaters, the C4FM Fusion seems to be the rage, but when you view and listen to the calls of the folks using that mode, more than 1/2 of them are not from here, since the Fusion repeaters are constantly linked. I'll do 10M FM repeaters as well, especially the Dallas, TX one on 29.660-/R, when propagation permits. It's not PL toned.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 1634 UTC »
Usually somebody listening on 146.52 around the metro region here.
Give a long enough call so that if they are scanning a bunch of repeaters
along with .52 you will be heard.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 1934 UTC »
Lotsa activity on rptrs and smplx here, sadly more digital lately. wich makes me reach for the lockout button.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Matt285

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 1415 UTC »
Yeah. A guy I work with has a Tech Lic and we talk from time to time on 2m/440. It's like a ghost town. I always try to remember to pause and welcome other stations to join the QSO and maybe .5 times out of 10 someone will. I'm sure there are still people monitoring though.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 2205 UTC »
To be sure, someone's listening out there. Far more scanners tuned to HAM repeaters than HAM rigs. Hmmm, well mebbe not so many more these days as scanning has become even more of a niche or fetish than HAM.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns