We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sangean ATS-909X  (Read 11009 times)

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sangean ATS-909X
« on: December 14, 2011, 1352 UTC »
Sangean ATS-909X

Have any of you all had experience with the ATS-909X?
I have discerned that it may be better to procure a newer
serial numbered (manufactured date) radio.

If this is true what is a good cut-off serial number for reference?

Needing to go portable and the prices are down a bit so this
may key a buying decision.

Any opinions out here?

Cheers!

Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: Sangean ATS-909X
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 0158 UTC »
I picked one up last February.

It works pretty decent.

Compared to my Sony ICF-2010, on the upper bands (14MHz and higher) it performs comparably with the whip antenna. The 25' wire antenna that comes with it makes little difference.

Below about 14 MHz, it becomes hard of hearing on the whip only and really could use that 25' wire ant. The Sony 2010 sitting next to it works fine on the lower bands with its whip (although, the wire ant helps it too).

MW broadcast works well. Picks up lots of things.

On LW, it seems to pick up MW stations as well... kind of a disappointment.

No problems with FM.

Audio quality is pretty good for such a small speaker.

Went on a trip overseas and wanted to bring a radio. Wanted to bring the 2010, but didn't want it to get broken or seized, so it had to stay home. Instead I took the replaceable 909X.

Worked out very well for the trip. Recorded a bunch of local MW/FM & SW stations.

I'm fairly pleased with it.

Don't know which firmware they're shipping with now, so can't answer that part.

MV

Minneapolis, MN

Offline mondomusique

• Halifax, NS, CANADA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 1329 UTC »
I would look at the Tecsun PL-660 for $129 at Universal Radio.  It is said to be a good portable (has SSB reception).

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/2540.html

It would be good to put the 909X up against the PL-660 in a real life performance shootout.
Afedri sdr, Palstar radio, Wellbrook antenna
eQSLs: djprincehifi@yahoo.ca

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 0443 UTC »
Just received the PL-660 and listening to it now. Unfortunately, lent my 909X out to a friend, so can't put them side by side.

But, what I can say from using the PL-660 and my memory of the 909X:

The PL-660 has pretty decent reception on the lower HF bands with the whip. The 909X was sorta deaf there w/o an ext antenna. Dark out, so haven't tried the upper bands yet. Was able to get Radio Ronin Shortwave on 6925 tonight with the whip and sounded alright, about S5. Perseus with 102' G5RV was about S8. (no, not comparing the 660 with the Perseus, but giving reference).

Audio quality is decent for a small speaker. 909X sounds better, but PL-660 is far better than the tinny Sony ICF-SW7600GR.

MW seems to be pretty good, picks up plenty of DX. LW is ok, but my Sony ICF-2010 beats it by a little bit. Not a big surprise there. Listened to NDB AA in Fargo on 365 kHz (about 200 mi away). It was just barely coming in on the 2010 at the time and the 660 didn't hear it. Waited a couple of minutes and it was better on the 2010 and the 660 was starting to pick it up.

Sync works as advertised.

Overall from initial impressions, I'm very pleased with the $120 radio.

When I get the 909X back, I may line 'em all up (the 2010, 909X, 660, and 7600GR) and see how they all compare side by side.

So far, about the only thing I don't like about the 660 is that it doesn't have line out.

Minneapolis, MN

Nella F.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 2358 UTC »
Isn't the Sangean ATS-909X simply a repackaged clone of the Sangean/ R. S. ATS-909/DX-398.... just like R. S.'s Pro-2005 & 6 were repackaged clones of the Pro-2003? (rip: Bill Cheek).

Offline L Cee

• East Coast - USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 0318 UTC »
What about the Tescun PL-600 ?  Anyone have any experience with this one?  It can be found new for $70-$80 and used for about $60. I see it does have ssb.
L Cee
East Coast - USA

rdla4

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 2310 UTC »
I have a 909X and a 909. The 909X does seem to "hear" better. But not by much. The display on the 909X is far superior to  the 909. Its bright, and I can actually read it without glasses or external lights.

For a portable, the 909 is pretty good, but its not a Sony ICF2010.

I generally do not use the smaller portable radios (like the 909X) because the audio is too murky and sounds "worked on" by the AGC.

Offline ErnieTech

• View Profile
    • ErnieTech's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 0158 UTC »
I had one...for a while. I should have known better. Had an original 909. Was deaf off of the whip antenna. Sold it on eBay. Saw a couple of eHam reviews and a Youtube vid that said the X model solved the deafness. NOT. Can't hear WWV on 10MHZ in the afternoon when a friend's Tecsun PL-660 right next to it has it loud and clear. Plug in the external wire reel antenna, and they're the same.

Not much of a portable then is it. At least on SW. On MW and FM is excellent. Especially the sound of the FM audio. Heck of an expensive FM radio.

And back to the store it went.

Bummer  :'(
Is ErnieTech just another vanity account? You decide. Ernie loves oddball tech even more than his laser pointer. He digs his little pink nose into just about everything.

Visit me on Discord: https://discord.gg/T4Df88w8St
Visit me on Mastodon: https://mastodon.sdf.org/@ernietech
Visit me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsbBSwXJzVtkX6ovo-QZATA

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns