We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KCMY 1300 AM 0400 UTC 23 Jan 2020  (Read 847 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
KCMY 1300 AM 0400 UTC 23 Jan 2020
« on: January 23, 2020, 0755 UTC »
At the top of the hour, just as I tuned in, I heard a legal ID that listed several frequencies, including an FM translator or two very quickly, but ended with “Cowboy Country” and started playing a country song before the signal quickly receded back into the mess. A quick online search of that frequency and slogan turned up this Carson City, Nevada, station.

The signal on my Field receiver rose back above the fray around 0413 UTC with a country song that matched what I was hearing on an SDR in Winnemucca, Nevada; I also heard a local ad at 0416 UTC that matched the SDR audio. This one’s listed as just 120 watts at night. The distance from me is 622 miles.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: KCMY 1300 AM 0400 UTC 23 Jan 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 0430 UTC »
Carson City has been coming in to the Western WA fairly well ever since the Seattle station went off the air, although KAPL from Ashland, OR often dominates, as does KLER from Idaho.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
Re: KCMY 1300 AM 0400 UTC 23 Jan 2020
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 0004 UTC »
As a former resident of Talent, Oregon, just off Highway 99 between Ashland and Medford, I bet the slightly snooty Ashland residents would like me to mention that KAPL's transmitter is located in south Medford instead of Ashland.

I probably should lament the loss of an old legacy station like KKOL going off the air, as it dated back to 1922 in Seattle, but having 1300 kHz open for DXing is kind of nice!
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop