We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WWL (tent.) 870 AM 0645 UTC 24 Jan. 2020  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
WWL (tent.) 870 AM 0645 UTC 24 Jan. 2020
« on: January 24, 2020, 1734 UTC »
I have this as tentative because I didn't hear any ID or local ads to help confirm my hunch that I was hearing New Orleans from up here near Seattle.

For several minutes at a time between about 0645 and 0755 UTC, I heard "The Dave Ramsey Show" fade in, with long fadeouts in between. WWL is the only station on 870 listed as playing the show in those hours, so I tuned an online SDR in Alabama to 870 and it was echoing what I was hearing. But those long fadeouts kept me from 100% confirming this was WWL.

KFLD, which is much closer to me and usually audible, was down in the mess. Weird reception night, as some of the usuals were missing, but WOAI out of San Antonio was booming in like a local station at times.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: WWL (tent.) 870 AM 0645 UTC 24 Jan. 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 2106 UTC »
Band goes long, locals go out and dx comes in. Nice change.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 2154 UTC »
You probably heard it, WWL is the big dog on 870 at night.  Its signal is beamed northward, not
wasted heating up the Gulf of Mexico.  Anyway, it is a nice catch from Seattle.  :)
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 2239 UTC »
Since I got the Eton Field BT two weeks ago, I've been very impressed with its MW reception; I can't try it with a shortwave antenna just yet. And after nearly a month of using it, I'm getting better at fine-tuning my Tecsun loop that I use with the radio.

Biggest basic tip I have for using the loop: Put it and your radio on a lazy Susan. It's a game-changer, as it makes it effortless to change the orientation of the radio and the loop at the same time.

In a week's time, we'll be mostly moved back to our regular house after seven months of living elsewhere while cleaning up and rebuilding 70% of the house after a plumbing leak disaster. Can't wait to get back there, as it's a quieter environment for radio reception and I have a good longwire antenna there.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 1210 UTC »
WWL "The Big 870" with a big signal into Michigan @1130Z,
listening to the "Outdoors with Don Dubuc" show talking about
redfish and trout fishing.   
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 2044 UTC »
I've a hot rodded Sony 6R33 ambc rx and it's quite effective at ambc dx. The lazy susan thingy is a great idea, but the ne plus ultra of rig stands would be one that allowed for x y and z axis orientation.

For ensample, when I want to see who is under WHO 1040 when they start rolling in here in the afternoons, I can hold the sony perpendicular to the sig aka nulling aka direction finding method, and then must rotate the rig in various elevation angles to make the null 100 percent, gatta hit that wave front precisely. Works almost every time.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.