We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 1/2'' Hardline coax LDF4 connections  (Read 908 times)

Matt285

1/2'' Hardline coax LDF4 connections
« on: January 28, 2020, 1808 UTC »
So, I think I can get a 50' piece of LDF4 1/2'' coax for free. I have never terminated coax this large. I know it's not as common to connect PL259's to it because its used more for high gain commercial settings. I did however find some PL-259 connectors for $9.99 each. The catch was that they are solder less. I have always soldered antenna connections and would feel very uneasy about using this type of product. Is it a common thing to use solder less connections for this type of cable since it has so much copper? I must say I have never seen a soldering iron on a cell site.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1/2'' Hardline coax LDF4 connections
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 1832 UTC »
Most of the larger coaxial cables are solder free.  Getting that much heat into the cable to solder will almost always damage the dielectric and create a VSWR hot spot.  The captive connectors are OK as long as you get the right kind from a reputable manufacturer.  I like the Andrew (now commscope) connectors and should only run about $20-30 each end.

The instructions come with the connector and they recommend the use of a hacksaw and file.  I have found the installation to go much smoother with a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel, then use a file to smooth the edges.  I have terminated up to 3" cable using this method, although a portable bandsaw works better on larger cable.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 1853 UTC »
Most 3''. I'm intimidated by the 1/2'' . Thanks for the advice. The soldering part makes sense.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 1859 UTC »
Lately I've been aiding some guys doing TV repack work.  There, 7 & 8" line is common, all air dielectric.  Jacketed flexible line I think is only available up to 4".  Above that, its all 'plumbing'.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me