We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Boeing Everett & Seattle w-king Boeing 298 SELCAL 11306 khz USB 22:24 UTC 30 Jan  (Read 1001 times)

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
  • Riding the (electromagnetic) waves...
    • View Profile
i picked up this USB voice communication between Boeing 298 and Boeing Everett & Boeing Seattle while setting up to decode HFDL from Guam on the same frequency. i just pulled BOE298 up on flightaware and am watching its flight: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE298
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 2232 UTC by jasmine »
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline nickcarr3151

• Bellevue, WA
  • The only easy day was yesterday...
    • View Profile
Hi Jasmine,

Boeing usually has several test flights per day.  I see this daily from my Flightaware ADS-B home page:  https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/cnick6
They don't always communicate on HF so good catch.  Signals were quite good yesterday and look to be good this morning as well.

Cheers,
-Nick
Perseus SDR + Wellbrook ALA100LN (60m loop), Wellbrook 1530S+
ICOM 7000 + Zero-Five 10/40 GP Vertical
Xiegu G90
Motorola XPR/XTS Portables, Uniden scanners, Whistler Scanners
Airspy Mini SDR + DSDPlus + Diamond D3000N Discone

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
If you are intently curious, this was tail number N370UP, a new-build 767 freighter for UPS. Ironically a photographer happened to catch this exact plane taxiing out for the flight you heard on HF:

https://flightaware.com/photos/view/1095011-0912858b996fad760202063f20f279b4cdd47a9a

This was a short 17 minute test flight, I'd say it's very likely that the transmission you heard was from testing while it was on the ground. For a 17 minute flight the cockpit would probably be pretty busy with other things.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 1625 UTC by Beerus Maximus »
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
  • Riding the (electromagnetic) waves...
    • View Profile
omg! that's awesome! you guys are great with the information.
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
I had a friend who was with the FAA. I once asked him a very stupid question about why I couldn't hear a plane switching from HF to VHF to land at Pittsburgh but I could hear the Shannon flights calling St. Johns, NF like they were going over my house? His answer, "Well Pigmeat, the Shannon ones are way up over the Atlantic, height and salt water props. The ones coming into Pittsburgh are a couple of thousand ft. over trees and squirrels. You figure it out."