We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Rush Limbaugh Has Lung Cancer  (Read 4073 times)

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rush Limbaugh Has Lung Cancer
« on: February 03, 2020, 2100 UTC »
Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh revealed that he has been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer. On his radio show Monday....https://www.foxnews.com/media/rush-limbaugh-advanced-lung-cancer
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Rush Limbaugh Has Lung Cancer
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 0215 UTC »
He had some nodes removed from his vocal chords in the aughts that were thought to be related to his heavy cigar smoking and was given the all clear. As you don't normally inhale cigars, I wonder if he liked to play at the local asbestos dump as a kid?

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 0230 UTC »
Like a lot of industry veterans he was a heavy smoker previously, and has hinted at this over the years.  Likely the damage was done long ago.  An old radio mentor of mine used to say that people like him 'Had a voice that comes with gargling gasoline and razor blades'.

+-RH
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 0231 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 1150 UTC »
Like a lot of industry veterans he was a heavy smoker previously, and has hinted at this over the years.  Likely the damage was done long ago.  An old radio mentor of mine used to say that people like him 'Had a voice that comes with gargling gasoline and razor blades'.

+-RH

Reminds me of Wolfman Jack.

Thanks for keeping this thread polite and free of politics, I trust it will remain so.  :)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 2126 UTC »
Something I did not know, Rush Limbaugh was a DJ in the Pittsburgh area in the 1970s:

http://user.pa.net/~ejjeff/christie.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 2355 UTC »
Yes, he was. His Dad got him a job with the St. Louis Cardinals in promos/advertising/ and spotting when the Pittsburgh station cut staff so the family wouldn't have to suffer the shame of an insurance man in the fold.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 0002 UTC »
Whoops! I think that was the K.C. Royals? Limbaugh had half the guys he knew from the Royals on his show the first couple of years he was in syndication.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 0202 UTC »

+-RH

2 suggestions for the Best Radio Voice Hall of Fame:
Chicago's Larry Lujack on the old WCFL and , of course, Don Imus.   Stern ain't bad either.

Great Pipes, all 3.

Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 1737 UTC »

The Medal of Freedom honor for Mr. Limbaugh last night is the third to my knowledge for strictly a radio icon.  President Bush awarded it to Paul Harvey and President Obama bestowed it upon Vin Scully.  I believe the sudden awarding speaks to the gravity of Rush's condition.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Ticom

• Litchfield Hills, CT
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 0151 UTC »
He was a customer of a former employer back in the 1990s. Actually was a pretty nice guy IRL.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 2228 UTC »
He was a customer of a former employer back in the 1990s. Actually was a pretty nice guy IRL.

I don't think his more rabid fans and detractors realized that most of his on air stuff was shtick, Ticom? 

I really liked G. Gordon Liddy's show from that era. Gord was a first class nut, instructing his listeners regularly of the many way's to kill someone with a freshly sharpened No. 2 pencil.

In the wake of Ruby Ridge and Waco, Liddy told his audience re; the ATF and other three letter agencies, that came into play in these stand-offs, "Aim for their legs. They're covered in body armor from the waist up."  That got the advertisers attention. Gord wasn't long for syndication after letting that one escape his lips.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 2037 UTC »
G. Gordon Liddy and his Steely Dan connection.....A Liddy-directed politically motivated drug raid on Bard College in 1969 involved, among others, Donald Fagen and Walter Becker, who later formed the band Steely Dan and wrote the song "My Old School" about the raid. Liddy is referred to in the lyrics as "Daddy Gee."....http://tokinwoman.blogspot.com/2016/06/when-g-gordon-liddy-raided-eminent.html
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline JCMaxwell

• Central NC, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 2051 UTC »
 :-X :-X :-X

IC-R9000L, FDM-S2, Belka DX, HF+ Discovery, RSPdx, IC-R30, BC125AT, PL-880 <- W6LVP Loop

eQSLs appreciated - johnnyclerkmaxwell@gmail.com

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 2308 UTC »
" :-X :-X :-X"   Don't cry, he's gonna die rich.

~

Offline JCMaxwell

• Central NC, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 2323 UTC »
What are you talking about?

That is a zipped mouth.

Chris doesn’t want this thread to get political.  It’s already headed that way somewhat, but I am zippering my mouth to comply.
IC-R9000L, FDM-S2, Belka DX, HF+ Discovery, RSPdx, IC-R30, BC125AT, PL-880 <- W6LVP Loop

eQSLs appreciated - johnnyclerkmaxwell@gmail.com

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns