We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Transmitting WEFAX images with FLDIGI  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
Transmitting WEFAX images with FLDIGI
« on: January 18, 2019, 0130 UTC »
Does anyone here have any experience using FLDIGI to transmit images using WEFAX mode?

I have been attempting to transmit images, but keep running into the problem of the program timing out after 5 minutes of transmitting (a dialog box opens that says, "TX timeout expired! Are you awake"). The FLDIGI guide suggests going into the configuration settings and changing the browser settings for "Inactivity timeout" via the scrolling menu that is there. I have done this, using every setting possible and the program still times out after 5 minutes.

Not having any luck with that, I then tried making the images smaller, thinking that lower resolution and small sized might help. Still no luck.

I've reached the end of my tweaking and tinkering with this and could really use some help from anyone who has successfully transmitted WEFAX images with this program. If you could help me with any FLDIGI settings that I need to check, or with changing the images to make them more friendly to the program, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Transmitting WEFAX images with FLDIGI
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 1850 UTC »
Perhaps the app's coded with a line in the exe that shuts off tx after 5 mins regardless of the option. In that case I'd be looking at dm780 or easypal or some other sstv app.

https://www.egr.msu.edu/msuarc/software/ham-radio-deluxe/
http://www.g0hwc.com/sstv_drm_news.html
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 2333 UTC »
Perhaps the app's coded with a line in the exe that shuts off tx after 5 mins regardless of the option. In that case I'd be looking at dm780 or easypal or some other sstv app.

https://www.egr.msu.edu/msuarc/software/ham-radio-deluxe/
http://www.g0hwc.com/sstv_drm_news.html

Yes, that is what I suspect, too (a line of code to shut off transmission, likely done to protect the radio from overheating).

I'm already using a couple of good SSTV apps. I was essentially just wanting to experiment with sending via WEFAX, as I kind of like its old school black and white image format.

Offline Fishbreath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 0440 UTC »
I hope I'm not violating etiquette here by bumping an old thread, but I came across this one when looking into WEFAX myself, and thought I would share the solution I found. The timeout setting of interest is in UI->General, not UI->Browser:

Seems to work for me.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 1933 UTC »
At least it's not hardcoded into the tool, also we encourage thread necromancy.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 1650 UTC »
I hope I'm not violating etiquette here by bumping an old thread, but I came across this one when looking into WEFAX myself, and thought I would share the solution I found. The timeout setting of interest is in UI->General, not UI->Browser:

Seems to work for me.

Fishbreath, you are awesome. Thank you for replying to this post with this information. I had all but given up on any solution.

Offline Fishbreath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 2122 UTC »
Happy to! It wouldn't have been very sporting of me to get 90% of the way to a solution on the back of your thread without sharing the results.