We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Man without a life....  (Read 4705 times)

Offline 45auto

• View Profile
    • Email
Man without a life....
« on: February 11, 2020, 1459 UTC »
   Perhaps this is a repost, but I am worried.

There is a guy on 11 meters.....

In Western NY, there is a 40 year old guy on disability.
    Living with his mother, he spends his life collecting government assistance checks and boasts about Donald Trump.
    Spurred on by adversaries, he is planning on upgrading to a 75ft tower topped with a "Colossal  10K" antenna.
    Gonna use 7/8 hardline coax topped with a large AMP.

His current music play and vulgar childish games will oppress all of western NY!   

I am already resigned to avoiding channel 38 LSB, yet what about freeband?
     Can a guy "own" a channel?    Has this happened before?   

- still learning 45auto.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Man without a life....
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 1815 UTC »
If there was ever a worthier life undertaking, I don't know what it could possibly be.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 1838 UTC »
Have you reached out to the FCC? I know they could careless about CB issues for the most part, but if there are violations being committed and you bark loud enough and long enough then something may be done. There are always more sinister ways of dealing with these type of things also...... which I wouldn't know.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 1949 UTC »
Huh... Some things just never change. Back in the 80's, there was an A-hole like that who pissed off folks in WNY and NWPA. Problem was, he was just down hill of me. How close? You could hear his 5th harmonic in the aircraft band on a scanner. And, he'd bug the crap out of everyone, no matter what FREQ you went too. His down fall??? He messed with the 10M Amateur Radio ops and interfered with EMS services. The Federal Corporate Coddlers cleaned him right out. Then, in 2003, when we had another A-hole like that, we were able to go to the license-free MURS FREQ's,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service   So, CB to MURS, back to CB. I also have a GMRS license. So, you have some alternatives now. If you can help it, you never want to really bring the Federal Corporate Coddlers around, since they'll want to check out more than just some offending A-hole. However, if they interfere with emergency communications and broadcasting stations, let them cook their own goose.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 2158 UTC »
Unfortunately these types - that is, channel hogs, quasi-jammers, etc.  are all over the place on CB.  In my area, they haven't discovered FRS/GMRS or MURS.  There's only a handful of really bad ones...one of the guys has a similar setup - a high gain antenna on top of an apartment complex with a commanding view of the downtown area.  He runs at least two different amplifiers and a Galaxy 33 (from the sound of it, with the modulation limiter removed). 

He smokes crack and talks on the CB all day long.  Some of the locals/regulars are cool with him, but he will antagonize people for hours on end.  He "discovered" channel 19 a while back, and will alternate between 19 and the local "home" channel that he usually hangs out on.  He'll use channel 19 for general chit-chat, much to the annoyance of truckers driving through the city.  Of course, truckers can make great CB trolling targets...and that's what the CBer in question loves to do.

You could call the FCC...but its better to just use another frequency/channel/band/etc. 

But, to answer your question, no, technically, no one can "own" a channel.  They can, however, run power with a serious antenna and de facto own a channel if they really want to and have nothing better to do. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 2200 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline czar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 2227 UTC »
The FCC isn't going to do anything about it.Unless he's interfering with EMS,Police or aircraft they won't send anyone out.The FCC no longer has the money or man power to do much anymore and all you have to do is listen in EVERY evening to 3840 KHZ, in the day 7.250 KHZ or 14.313KHZ and listen in this crap there has been going on for years and years and little has been done.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 0539 UTC »
There was a guy big in national Republican politics, friends with Nixon and Reagan, who once lived near me. He had a 5 kW broadcast tx he modified to ragchew on 160 and 80 meters with. When he keyed that mic about 5:30 Eastern time, you could forget about hearing any tropical dx from 40 down until he went to work.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 1155 UTC »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wCnHh_jhP-Q

A good example of somebody with a big antenna up on top of a high rise with an amplifier....smoking crack and drinking malt liquor and talking basically non-stop on the CB radio.  Luckily there’s other channels to choose from. 

When I recorded that video I was about 3-4 miles away from the louder station.  I could hear him with a handheld CB inside the house on the crappy stock rubber duck antenna without a problem too.  When he turns his amplifier on he can be heard a couple channels up and down from whichever channel he’s on.  So channel 21 and channel 24 would also be useless, at least locally.

Who needs a modulation limiter anyway?
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 1949 UTC »
There was a guy in the Omaha/Counciltucky region with a lot of spurs that went to the air band as well as keying up 2m repeaters. This is the late 80s or so. So the local HAMs got together and found him, turned him in to fcc after he refused to do something about his radio hygiene with gentle HAM persuasion, and the fedz took care of the issue. He was one of those guys with a suburban that had a 10kw cb in it and a 11m antenna with a coil like a car coil spring. Now those guys are all over.

Offline 45auto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 2021 UTC »
   I understand this is CB, so expect anything.
   The undesirable goof balls are expected, but geeezzz!
   Imagine a dog park where anyone can come and play together, but this 38LSB park reeks of his urine.
   Much rather find a cleaner park.   

Being a licensed ham, he prefers CB due to the Rated R atmosphere. (i get it)

The kicker is his darn scanning radio, for he seeks the SSB channels for local stations 38 to freeband 555.

Because of his disability, I do not expect any changes happening soon.   

I am resigned, must move on....      45auto Western NY

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 1426 UTC »
There was a guy in the Omaha/Counciltucky region with a lot of spurs that went to the air band as well as keying up 2m repeaters. This is the late 80s or so. So the local HAMs got together and found him, turned him in to fcc after he refused to do something about his radio hygiene with gentle HAM persuasion, and the fedz took care of the issue. He was one of those guys with a suburban that had a 10kw cb in it and a 11m antenna with a coil like a car coil spring. Now those guys are all over.

Bonus points if he was using a DAVE MADE amplifier.  The massive coil antennas + 10s of kilowatts CB crowd can be found driving beat up old Cadillacs (at least in my area) as well as Suburbans and various pickups.   Those huge coil antennas can be found on regular semi trucks too - no doubt because the truck has a very high power CB setup installed. 

http://www.davemade.mobi/

I remember talking to one of the local CBers (face to face, I ran into him at a hamfest, go figure) about one of the more infamous local AM CB guys - apparently there was another operator who had a similar set up - peeked and tooned radio with modulation limiter removed, power mic and several amplifiers without any sort of LPF or filtering of any kind employed.  He spewed spurs all over 10 meters and harmonics into the VHF aircraft band.  The 4th harmonic happened to land right on one of the VOR radio navigation frequencies used by the local airport. Needless to say, he got "the knock" pretty quick. 

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 1430 UTC by R4002 »

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 2200 UTC »
   I understand this is CB, so expect anything.
   The undesirable goof balls are expected, but geeezzz!
   Imagine a dog park where anyone can come and play together, but this 38LSB park reeks of his urine.
   Much rather find a cleaner park.   

Being a licensed ham, he prefers CB due to the Rated R atmosphere. (i get it)

The kicker is his darn scanning radio, for he seeks the SSB channels for local stations 38 to freeband 555.

Because of his disability, I do not expect any changes happening soon.   

I am resigned, must move on....      45auto Western NY

If he's licensed he knows better, look and see if hes spamming the civil aviation band with drek and turn him in if he is. The fedz don't fool around with anyone splattering the aero or ems/fire/leo bands.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 1333 UTC »
Josh is right, 45auto. 

If the operator in question is throwing harmonics and/or spurs on other bands, it will gain the attention of the feds quicker.  The 4th harmonics of the CB band runs from 107.86 MHz (107.9 MHz effectively) to 109.62 MHz (109.6 MHz or 109.65 MHz effectively, the VOR band uses 50 kHz steps from 108.000 MHz to 117.950 MHz).  27.025 MHz (CB channel 6) drops its 4th harmonic right on 108.1 MHz, 5th harmonic on 135.125 MHz, 6th on 162.150 MHz...

The 4th harmonics can cause serious interference with the aircraft navigation service (VOR) in the 108.0 MHz - 117.95 MHz range.  The 5th harmonics can cause serious interference with aircraft communications in the 118.000 MHz - 136.975 MHz range, specifically 134.8 MHz - 137.025 MHz.   Since CB radio uses AM mode and the VHF aircraft band uses AM mode...the source of the interference will likely get noticed pretty quickly.  If he's running that dirty of a setup he's probably causing interference all over the bands.  Aircraft communications are considered "safety of life" communications and the FCC and FAA will get involved. 

All it takes is a few milliwatts (or even microwatts, depending on the antenna used and how close the transmitter is to air traffic) to cause issues with the VHF air band.   

Prior to the digital TV conversion, the obvious issue as far as CB harmonics go is that the 2nd harmonic of 27 MHz is right on TV channel 2 (54 MHz - 60 MHz) and AM signals cause massive interference to analog TV signals.  z

That aside, a strong AM CB signal can also get into all sorts of electronics (stereo systems, computer speakers, headphones, guitar amplifiers, PA systems, VCRs, entertainment systems, etc. etc.)  it's not uncommon for a strong AM CB signal to be heard coming out of a speaker (after all, all you need is a diode to act as a detector if the signal is strong enough). 

I did a series of tests a few years back with a home built 11 meter beacon transmitter.  It did in the 50-100 milliwatt range and was connected to a dipole antenna mounted in an attic.  It was a simple AM transmitter modulated with a 1000 Hz tone generator.  Crystal controlled on 27.500 MHz (for initial testing anyway, I eventually played with other frequencies - once I got my hands on a bunch of 26 MHz - 27 MHz crystals) it made a nice carrier signal with two tones 1 kHz up and 1 kHz down from center frequency 27.501 MHz and 27.499 MHz = perfect for doing range testing with a mobile radio in SSB mode. 

Anyway, the transmitter's 1 kHz tone could easily be heard coming out of the neighbor's hi-fi system's speakers and my roommate's computer's speakers.  Sooo...that got noticed pretty quick.  The installation of a low pass filter on the transmitter and several RF chokes on the speaker wire solved the problem. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 1339 UTC by R4002 »

Offline Kage

• US
  • Modulating Madness
    • View Profile
    • The Free Radio Forum
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 1844 UTC »
And here I am running clean power with harmonics well below the legal levels, outboard audio pushing the modulation stage to 100% positive and a little less negative so I can actually get the most power out of those 4 watts and Anytone "Smart CB" and voice bandwidth instead of splattering on my neighbors channel. In fact I've been told to actually turn my modulation down by a local because my clean signal was louder than the superbowl goofballs even though I was hitting the scope at a little under 100% pos and 95% neg on a stock radio using proper direct AM processing with slight assym filtered clipping.
Properly used modulation rivals that of the splatter boxes most people hear, think about that. Your distorted voice on every damn channel with a kilowatt isn't hardly working as well as a few watts with nice audio processing and voice compression and EQing a basic mic into a A99 or 1/4 GP.

I can't understand people who think the more noise they make the more will listen. All they do is yap at themselves because the rest of us are tuned out on purpose and frustrated that they bleed over on clear channels. They aren't sounding cool and the only good thing that swing is doing is hopefully stressing their PA until something goes pop.

Even us pirates understand good clean audio with lower power is far better than high power through a distorted mess of harmonics and spurs and shit modulation. All these people do is ruin radio for the rest of us and gives amateur ops an excuse to call it the chicken band for good reason.
I'd be okay with the idea of new people not knowing better and willing to learn, but a lot of these CB ops I've found are so hardheaded they refuse to learn how to get a clean signal. It's almost like they prefer being willfully ignorant or want to piss off people.

Luckily there are some really good 11m users out there, and they stick to the upper SSB channels or antiquated AM 23ch. channels of times past to strike up a good conversation.
I'm not saying aliens are in the radio, but aliens definitely are in the radio.
The Free Radio Forum

Offline 45auto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 1411 UTC »
  Just a simple update -  channel 38 LSB-
   The loud obnoxious turd here in Western NY has been exposed.   Another local station plastered his photo and address upon "11 meter box" Facebook and Twitter accounts.   
  A hornet nest is sturring, now the turd insists on upgrading his radio tower this spring.   
   I am happy to lay low and QSY if necessary. 

Resigned- 45auto