We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Poll

What Portable Radio Did you start your listening hobby with?

Radioshack DX-398/Sangean ATS-909
5 (4.6%)
Realistic DX-440/ Sangean 803a
9 (8.3%)
Yard Sale (Unknown Brand)
4 (3.7%)
Grundig/Eton Portable Series (List model in a reply post if you like.)
10 (9.2%)
TecSun/Degen Portables(List model in a reply post if you like.)
3 (2.8%)
Other (List model in a reply post if you like.)
78 (71.6%)
Realistic DX-350
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: What Radio Did you start your listening hobby with?  (Read 113489 times)

Offline zackers

• View Profile
Re: What Radio Did you start your listening hobby with?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 0036 UTC »
My first SWL radio was a large portable transistor radio sold with the name "Passport" on it. I think my dad bought it and I quickly adopted it.
:-)

When I got my ham license in 1967 I picked up a Heathkit Mohawk receiver which only tuned the ham bands but I built a converter so I could tune the spectrum from 2 to 30 MHz. I've heard some interesting things on it and on other radios over the years.

One thing that surprises me - my very first numbers station was what we refer to as "V02" from Cuba on 4028 kHz. That must've been in the late 70's. V02 STILL uses that frequency!
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles

Offline SHORTY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 0045 UTC »
I started with a Sony 2010 in the late 80's.

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 0053 UTC »
For those that remember their first SW receiver…do you remember the first thing you heard on it?

The first MW DX and shortwave I remember hearing - not on my own receiver - was probably in the late 1960s or early 1970s when I was a kid.  Some folks we used to visit on the remote end of Long Island had an old receiver - a Transoceanic, I think - and let my brother and me tune it around.  I remember hearing some English accented broadcasts, probably the BBC, and a bunch of odd stuff from various countries and the Caribbean.

If memory serves, I became more interested in shortwave in the late 1980s after buying an old console style hi-fi and multiband AM radio, mostly as a functional decoration.  After replacing some tubes and tuning around I discovered it got pretty decent reception of the major international AM shortwave broadcasters.

Since I had to travel a lot back then I got that no-name portable I mentioned earlier, and quickly became intrigued by the sideband stuff that portable couldn't pick up.  From there it was all downhill.  I developed the immunity to static that marks the hopelessly addicted DXer.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline L Cee

• East Coast - USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 0243 UTC »
My first was a Knight Kit "Ocean Hopper" I built in 1962 with the help of a friend. The only portable I've ever owned is a Radio Shack DX-390. I've had wonderful results with it using long wire and dipole antennas strung up in trees. It even worked well using a wire thumb tacked around the ceiling of a room. Alas, it is currently not operating.

Here is the Ocean Hopper - not mine, but one exactly like the one I had :)
http://yourepeat.com/watch/?v=uowJns7XFjE
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 0333 UTC by L Cee »
L Cee
East Coast - USA

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 0036 UTC »
I said DX-440 because it was the first real radio I had around late 80's.  It could be months between hearing and IDing a pirate on or around 7415. 
We had a piece of garbage Hallicrafters growing up in the 60's with a piece of wire out the back.  Tubes.  Did they work?  Well enough to fire up.  Yellowed mystery tuning dial.  Even more mysterious secondary horizontal tuning.  WWV if you were lucky.  A few knobs and switches that may or may not have functioned.  I couldn't tell.  It didn't catch on fire at least.  It wasn't enough to spark an interest until I was much older.  Got really interested once I got a Drake R8.

Offline The Hokie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 0702 UTC »
I voted for the Grundig, as my first "real" radio was a YB400PE - but my first SW experience was on one of those MFJ battery-powered regens.

I don't think I heard anything on it but exhortations to repent, and maybe the Beeb World Service when they still pointed their antennas at us poor Colonials, but I was hooked.
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 1154 UTC »
I started listenning to hf aero/utilities in the 80s with a portable Sony-2010 started working saved up
got a brand new Icom-R71 end loved it using a discone was able to stay up all night then got 2 Kenwood-R5000 once i got married went crazy bought lots of receivers as the pay packet got bigger current radios Alinco DX-R8 (2),Icom-R71A,Icom-R75 (2),Palstar-R30A,Rf Space SDR-IQ (2),Ten Tec-320D,Ten Tec-340 (2) also have wide band receivers that also use on hf antennas are Wellbrook-ALA1530,ALA1530AL-1,1530L,330S also share a radio room at dads place with 35 hf receivers from Aor,Icom,Drake,Nrd,Perseus,Rfspace,Racal,Ten Tec,Watkins Johnson,Winradio also have 10 vhf/uhf receivers Aor-8600MK2 (5),Icom-R8500 (5) all my uncles are into radios every few weeks we get together radio talk all night..

Regards Lino..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 0221 UTC by Turbo »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 1411 UTC »
A Hallicrafters S-120 a cousin gave me when he was drafted in the early/mid 60's. It had one of those fancy "vfo's" that only worked if the ssb station was really strong and there was nothing on the band near it. Otherwise,it howled when engaged.

I still have it. In fact it's the only radio I ever heard Radio Eclipse on when that station was active.

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 0158 UTC »
I was going to talk about my starting my swl hobby using a Sony CRF-5100. Then I read Turbo's post and I want to be adopted.
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline Zane

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • hearing the negative waves
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 0240 UTC »
My older cousin had an electronics workshop in the basement. During my pre-teen and teen years he showed me the world of electronics which eventually led to a career. He had a Hallicrafters S-108 receiver and we'd occasionally turn it on. He never had a formal antenna  (he spent more time modifying stereo's while listening to jazz on a Crown reel-to-reel), but he'd hook up a hunk of wire and I'd be fascinated by SWBC stations, hams, and even WWV. As I got older and became interested in SWLing and ham radio, he gave me the S-108 and I used it for years. I still have it.

Yep, that's me in the basement. I know - nice shirt. But hey! I had lotsa hair then!
I think I was soldering something when somebody snapped this shot.

Z

Chicagoland
Palstar R30CC / Sherwood SE-3 MK IV / pa0rdt Mini-Whip / Gone Long Engineering remote resonant loop / Fansome approved

QSL to zaneradio@comcast.net

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 0555 UTC »
Yep, that's me in the basement. I know - nice shirt. But hey! I had lotsa hair then!

Hey, I had the same shirt.  Very '70s.  The cowpunk style sorta made a comeback here in the late '80s, at least around Deep Ellum, with yoke shirt patterns and bolo ties.  Ah, reminds me of seeing the Reverend Horton Heat at the Prophet Bar.

I still have the hair.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 6176320
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncorq
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 1946 UTC »
Most this pile I Still have:

And my R-75 that I still kinda miss, though the SDR is filling the void:

Gateway drug, I tell you!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 1953 UTC by corq »
Icom IC-705/AirSpyHF+ Discovery via GR5V
QTH: KMCO
plz qsl: corqpub ~at~ gmail.com
Captures posted to: http://youtube.com/uncorq
Kicks, Screams and Other Heresies: http://corq.co

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 2002 UTC »
Your shack is far too neat, Corq.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 6176320
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncorq
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 2052 UTC »
Your shack is far too neat, Corq.

Ha! That's why that particular pic was taken, because the neatness never lasts very long!

Icom IC-705/AirSpyHF+ Discovery via GR5V
QTH: KMCO
plz qsl: corqpub ~at~ gmail.com
Captures posted to: http://youtube.com/uncorq
Kicks, Screams and Other Heresies: http://corq.co

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 2103 UTC »
I think BOTH of you have shacks that are too neat.  I won't submit a photo of mine because I'd probably be getting a knock from the County Health Dept!  I started as a kid with an old ham tube rig called the Lafayette HA-60.  After having tired of not knowing what was hiding in the dark spaces between the ham bands, I finally ponied up the bux for a Realistic DX100.  Although the selectivity was abominable and the dial tuning was a cheesy analog 4 band affair, I was hooked to a lifetime of squeals and pops with that little bugger.  My first true portable came much later, with the venerable DX-440, which to me, was a class act for the price.  I later bought a Sangean ATS-818, which I still use today, alongside my tabletops.
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns