We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Poll

What Portable Radio Did you start your listening hobby with?

Radioshack DX-398/Sangean ATS-909
5 (4.6%)
Realistic DX-440/ Sangean 803a
9 (8.3%)
Yard Sale (Unknown Brand)
4 (3.7%)
Grundig/Eton Portable Series (List model in a reply post if you like.)
10 (9.2%)
TecSun/Degen Portables(List model in a reply post if you like.)
3 (2.8%)
Other (List model in a reply post if you like.)
78 (71.6%)
Realistic DX-350
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: What Radio Did you start your listening hobby with?  (Read 113114 times)

Offline Northwest Radio

• Barefoot on a wire!
    • View Profile
Re: What Radio Did you start your listening hobby with?
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2012, 0736 UTC »
My start, yee gaads. As a toddler I was fascinated with a vintage/antique radio my grandmother had in her home. With a bit of help from her, I heard my very first SW signals via its massive speaker. As I grew, she allowed me to operate it myself (Age 5 or 6 or so). I spent hours on a tall stool in front of it. I later in life discovered that it had a large rotatable helix/loop antenna in the cabinet. Wire and wooden dowels. Pretty cool.

It was an RCA Victor. Unsure of them model number but this is a photo of the exact radio I just found while producing this post. Man, I am gonna cry... (grin)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 0739 UTC by Northwest Radio »
Seattle Washington running Flex-1500 SDR, Yaesu FT-897, Yaesu FRG-100, Kenwood TS-440S, Realistic DX-394/DX-160/Pro-2051/Pro-2052
OCF Windom/Dipole 173' Length @ 49' AGL, 14mhz Delta Loop, 41' Vertical, Gutters, Kites, and Fence wires

Offline Billy the Mountain

• MO
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 2155 UTC »
A transistorized Zenith Transoceanic my grandfather had.  This was the 70's.  We only visited once a year or so, so I would sit and listen to the BBC, foreign broadcasters, and of course WWV.

Graduated to a Sony 2010 right after college (still have and use).  Had an R390/A for 20 or so years, recently parted with it.  I now use my trusty old TR7 mostly, although I'm dabbling in SDR and phasing direct conversion radios. . .
--
Somewhere in MO.
TR7/Sony 2010/SDRPlay/40m dipole/Various other aerials.
Ubuntu 14.04, FreeBSD 10.2, why am I putting OSs in my sig?

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2012, 0021 UTC »
Who would part with an R390/A!  :o
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline Billy the Mountain

• MO
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2012, 1358 UTC »
They take up a ton of space, they weigh a ton, and honestly, there are better receivers out there.  I thoroughly enjoyed mine (complete with meters), but it was time to move on. 

The small sailboat I bought with the money has better dynamic range, but poorer selectivity.
--
Somewhere in MO.
TR7/Sony 2010/SDRPlay/40m dipole/Various other aerials.
Ubuntu 14.04, FreeBSD 10.2, why am I putting OSs in my sig?

Offline ninly

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2012, 1513 UTC »
Enjoying this thread.

The SWL bug bit me in 2005, and I got an Eton e10 for Christmas that year. Listened to a lot of stuff (mostly SW broadcast) with a longwire on that little thing, from Brooklyn, NY. I don't exactly remember the radio fondly, but it got me started, and the bug burrowed deeper. Less than six months later I had my ham ticket, and bought a Yaesu FT-757GX at a hamfest upstate. I was eager to get on the air myself ... but the damn thing had a broken TX. So I was back to listening, though now with a much better receiver. Started listening to pirates, which peaked around Halloween 2008. My now-wife and I then decided to move to Alabama, and radio took a backseat while I established myself anew. Recently got back into HF, finally, with anew shack setup for listening and ham stuff. Still pretty bare-bones, but having a blast.

jc1974

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2012, 2124 UTC »
I started as a SWL is late 2003 with a Sony ICF2010 & Wellbrook Loop 1530 (the blue indoor one, which got stolen from my backyard, but its been replaced with a metal one). Art Bell from Coast to Coast AM was what got me interested after hearing him talk about the weird and strange things you could hear in the middle of the night on one of his shows. Around 2006 I kinda was obsessed with recording & archiving as many hams calling cq as possible, but that faded away after awhile. Here are some of the recordings: http://archive.org/details/Ham_2

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2012, 1623 UTC »
I started at 10 years old with a BC-312-D Army receiver [0.5-18MHz] that I got from a CB friend of my family's. I had a friend who also had one & when I was about 14 we started DXing together, each recording the audio to 1 track of a reel-to-reel recorder.
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm

Offline radioreddz

• Maryland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2012, 2330 UTC »
a radio shack DX 160 that i still have. sold a kawasaki 100cc dirt bike to get money for it. had to have it next to my cb radio equipment. it must have been 1974 or 75. i used a 30' length of speaker wire for the antenna.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 2331 UTC by radioreddz »
listning to the world on 200' of wire  assisted by a host of Hallicrafters,Icoms,Heath Kits and Radio Shack radios.  Stevo in Maryland

Offline vk3fz

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2012, 1114 UTC »
marconi cr 100 naval rx

Offline cyberflexx

• Huntington, WV
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2012, 2147 UTC »
Radio Shack DX392 and a DX350.. These are still my current shortwave receivers.  I have a Pro29 scanner and a Bearcat XLT 10ch scanner base as well.  Somewhere in storage is a cobra cb with SSB that runs 'hot' as well..

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2012, 1904 UTC »
Cyberflexx, is your DX-350 the one that's branded as a Realistic or the one with the Radio Shack brand on the front?  Just wondering, as they are basically two separate radio designs.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline cyberflexx

• Huntington, WV
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2013, 1916 UTC »
Cyberflexx, is your DX-350 the one that's branded as a Realistic or the one with the Radio Shack brand on the front?  Just wondering, as they are basically two separate radio designs.

Says radio shack  made in china.. Not the better of the two i dont think.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2013, 1649 UTC »
a radio shack DX 160 that i still have. sold a kawasaki 100cc dirt bike to get money for it. had to have it next to my cb radio equipment. it must have been 1974 or 75. i used a 30' length of speaker wire for the antenna.

Ahhh, one of these:

(not in the order shown, but includes: DX-100, DX-150, DX-150A, DX-150B, DX-160, and DX-200, elswhere around here I have the DX-75, DX-300, and DX-302, as well as several portable DX series radios)

T!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 2059 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2013, 1913 UTC »
My first "real" SW radio was a DX-160, previously I had been using a small portable, which is how I got hooked on the hobby.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2013, 1709 UTC »

Says radio shack  made in china.. Not the better of the two i dont think.

I think it's the better of the two.  The Chinese made 350 has a better IF / AF chip inside -- it's a Sony chip which has an RF amp built in, as well as electronically controlled volume.

It has a little less selectivity than the Realistic branded, Taiwanese made DX-350, but has more sensitivity and I think it has better overall performance, esp. on MW.

I heard the SW CBC outlet in Newfoundland on mine last Spring, just using the whip antenna.  And I live in the NW US.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).