We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Another Pride of China portable radio  (Read 2006 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Another Pride of China portable radio
« on: February 06, 2020, 1250 UTC »
Just $9.99 with free Prime shipping! Order today!  ;D

https://www.amazon.com/TIVDIO-V111-Portable-Shortwave-Transistor/dp/B07LBPGXXJ?tag=blackcatsyste-20

V-111 digital transistor radio
Frequency range
FM1: 87-108 MHz
FM2: 64-108 MHz (Russia)
FM3: 76-90 MHz (Japan)
MW: 522-1620 KHz
SW: 3.2-21.9 MHz
Tuning increment
FM: 0.05MHz MW: 10KHz
SW: 0.005MHz
Large built-in speaker: φ57mm / 8Ω / 0.5W
Dimension:4.9 x 3 x 0.8 inch
Stereo separation: ≧32dB
Power supply DC 5V or 2 x AA batteries (not included)
Antenna length 440mm / 17 inch
Weight 150g / 0.33lb

Package includes:
1 x V-111 Radio
1 x Earphone
1 x Lanyard
1 x Multi-language manual
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Another Pride of China portable radio
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 1256 UTC »
And the V115 model even has a memory card slot, so you can record audio!

https://www.amazon.com/Retekess-Portable-Transistor-Shortwave-Recorder/dp/B01ARN28SQ?tag=blackcatsyste-20

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 2158 UTC »
These things might be half decent if they emulate a synch detector in that highly touted, much vaunted dsp. Even standard rectification detection can be mathematically perfect, aka distortion free, if done via dsp.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 1743 UTC »
I told Radio Jay Allen about these. He ordered one, but then gave me an interesting reply, "There's a sucker born every minute...so to prove it I just bought one and will write it up!

You're a bad influence sir!

Jay".

That should be interesting, and I just had to snicker at that.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Dr. Strangelove

• DXing Phenomena
  • Northwest Alabama
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 0132 UTC »
I ordered one of each.  Heck for $22 I get two radios I don't have to worry about something happening to when I'm visiting friends and relatives.  I'll give a report after I give them a run.
R-390a, WJ-8718, Rohde & Schwarz EK07 and EK56, Siemens E311, 51-J4, R8, IC-7610. All reports are from my radios and antennas at my QTH.  Please QSL to morrisgarage770@msn.com   Northwest AL EM64

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 1100 UTC »
I avoid anything Made In China communications equipment wise, just read a review on a Chinese VHF/UHF handheld amateur radio set, no one had any kind words to say about it. Guess it boils down to the old adage: "You get what you pay for..." ;D

Bit like the vehicles they entered in the 2020 Dakar Rally, looked like something out of the Soviet cold war days, Zil's and Volga's... :o
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 1252 UTC »
Chinese radios are often like Harbor Freight tools.  They may be cheap and poorly made - but there are tasks they are perfectly suited for.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Another Pride of China portable radio, Radio Jay's review.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 1942 UTC »
And, here's Radio Jay's review of this portable,       https://radiojayallen.com/retekess-tivdio-am-lw-sw-fm-stereo-radio/
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 0332 UTC »
I avoid anything Made In China communications equipment wise, just read a review on a Chinese VHF/UHF handheld amateur radio set, no one had any kind words to say about it. Guess it boils down to the old adage: "You get what you pay for..." ;D

Bit like the vehicles they entered in the 2020 Dakar Rally, looked like something out of the Soviet cold war days, Zil's and Volga's... :o

It's all Made in China now, including Kenwood Icom Yaesu and the smart device or computer you used to type this comment. So unless you're buying only old equipment, you're not avoiding it very well.

It's all about what consumers and companies want. If you want it cheap, someone will build it for you cheap. Doesn't matter where in the world they are. You'll get what you pay for, and if you complain, more fool you.

So far my Chinese built Icom is serving me well, as is my Chinese built HP laptop, my Chinese built iPhone and Mac Mini, and a few other Chinese built devices I could name. My dirt cheap Chinese built no-name bluetooth speaker is a piece of dirt cheap junk that works with my Apple devices but not my pc, but that's about what I expected.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 1323 UTC »

It's all Made in China now, including Kenwood Icom Yaesu and the smart device or computer you used to type this comment.

It’s my understanding that Icom still builds their radios in Japan.  They might source parts from China, but they kept production in Japan.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 1752 UTC »
It’s my understanding that Icom still builds their radios in Japan.  They might source parts from China, but they kept production in Japan.

I stand corrected. My IC-7100 does say "Made in Japan." But that just makes me think of how people used to bag on that as if it automatically meant "poor quality" as well. Times change but lazy thinking doesn't. But thank you for that, I don't want to be guilty of spreading misinformation. Perhaps that's also true of Yaesu and Kenwood (I have nothing of recent manufacture from either of those companies).
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 1940 UTC »
Icom makes their rigs in Japan but seems to allow China to build mics and things like that for them. There are mods to fix the dreadful Icom audio out of the Chinese version of the HM36 hand mic to Japanese HM36 specs, greatly reducing the dreadful Icom audio.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns