We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 7535 USB MilAir? 20FEB20  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Magnumfan

• Ohio
    • View Profile
UNID 7535 USB MilAir? 20FEB20
« on: February 20, 2020, 1850 UTC »
I have been monitoring this frequency for a week now, with lots of traffic today. Sounds military but not sure. Stations are always contacting Sea Ceff or trying to, sometimes he doesn't respond. Some call signs heard include Saint George, Black Onyx, First Gator, LightningStrike. Sea Ceff seems to be a stationary or ground station.

They transmit in voice and also data which sounds like MIL-STD of some kind. They also refer to TX in red or green.

Today Saint George was testing transmitters with Sea Ceff for almost an hour in four different voice modes and using numerous excitors. I videoed this and condensed it down to 9 minutes. I'm copying this in Ohio. 1512 UTC 20FEB20.
Link follows:

https://youtu.be/yInYC_D2sqg

Thanks for any help with ID
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 1902 UTC by Magnumfan »

Offline Magnumfan

• Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: UNID 7535 USB MilAir? 20FEB20
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 1957 UTC »
Thanks Josh! Makes sense now and I was not aware of that blog site, but will be monitoring now. Thanks again!

Offline nickcarr3151

• Bellevue, WA
  • The only easy day was yesterday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 2013 UTC »
I commented on your video.  The digital was ANDVT -- which is how secure communications are done on HF.

Those are excellent signals however.  Your noise floor was somewhat high but good reception.  How is the wire portion of the EMCOMM II mounted?  Is it running north to south by chance?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 2016 UTC by nickcarr3151 »
Perseus SDR + Wellbrook ALA100LN (60m loop), Wellbrook 1530S+
ICOM 7000 + Zero-Five 10/40 GP Vertical
Xiegu G90
Motorola XPR/XTS Portables, Uniden scanners, Whistler Scanners
Airspy Mini SDR + DSDPlus + Diamond D3000N Discone

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 2015 UTC »
The sesef freqs are great for ute buffs as they have interesting traffic almost daily.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Magnumfan

• Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 2023 UTC »
Hey Nick, the antenna is hanging from a tree branch 9-10 feet off the ground and runs the length of my backyard and yes it run north and south. I RX really well up and down the east coast.

Offline nickcarr3151

• Bellevue, WA
  • The only easy day was yesterday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 2026 UTC »
Hey Nick, the antenna ... runs the length of my backyard and yes it run north and south. I RX really well up and down the east coast.

Yep that makes sense.  Your signals are excellent.  With the wire running N-S then you're picking up E-W comms very effectively.  Interesting, I may have to look at this antenna.  I'm looking for something just like this...
Perseus SDR + Wellbrook ALA100LN (60m loop), Wellbrook 1530S+
ICOM 7000 + Zero-Five 10/40 GP Vertical
Xiegu G90
Motorola XPR/XTS Portables, Uniden scanners, Whistler Scanners
Airspy Mini SDR + DSDPlus + Diamond D3000N Discone

Offline Magnumfan

• Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 2038 UTC »
Hey Nick, the antenna ... runs the length of my backyard and yes it run north and south. I RX really well up and down the east coast.

Yep that makes sense.  Your signals are excellent.  With the wire running N-S then you're picking up E-W comms very effectively.  Interesting, I may have to look at this antenna.  I'm looking for something just like this...

Roger that, it's simple and effective for sure and very well built. Could be taken down fairly easily and quickly if it were needed to take it down or portable. Here is a video I did on it, shows it a little closer up and the configuration.

https://youtu.be/bUsImvYH3ew