We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Oakland A's leave radio in Bay Area, what would Charlie Finley think?  (Read 901 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 1056 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Oakland A's leave radio, what would Charlie Finley think?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 0256 UTC »
I guess the Sacramento station that they will be on covers the Bay Area fairly well -- supposedly most of the East Bay is within the contours of their 'local' quality signal. At least theoretically. Not being a Bay Area person, I don't know how well the station reaches the Bay Area in the real world....
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oakland A's leave radio in Bay Area, what would Charlie Finley think?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 1239 UTC »
I learned of the change as I have a son living in Oakland.  In numerous visits/DX trials there, I don't recall receiving KHTK in Oakland.  But perhaps I didn't try hard with a local A's option available.  I'm planning on assisting him with a project out there in the Spring, I will make an effort to tune into 1140 KHTK.

Now, I am about as far away from NYC as Oakland is from Sacramento.  Some NYC 50k Class A stations are of excellent reception, some are barely audible.  I know KHTK is a 50k Class B station, I don't know how low they transmit at night.

The A's have a high number of day time broadcasts compared to east coast teams.  There are only 2 AL teams in the same time zone so most road games are 2-3 time zones ahead.  From listening, I know most of their road night games finish before sunset in Oakland.  Plus 33 of the 81 A's home games this year are afternoon tiffs.  If the signal is impeded by sunlight into the bay, methinks terrestrial radio in English of the A's will be a "tough catch".
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 1833 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oakland A's leave radio in Bay Area, what would Charlie Finley think?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 1303 UTC »
I know KHTK is a 50k Class B station, I don't know how low they transmit at night.

License says 50KW day and night, directional to the NNW/SSE from a 5 tower array near Galt, CA.  Coverage should extend to Oakland.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me