We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: NanoVNA for dummies  (Read 3202 times)

Matt285

NanoVNA for dummies
« on: February 26, 2020, 1949 UTC »
So I purchased a NanoVNA, but I cant find a simple way to just check SWR with it. I went thru the various calibration steps, but I'm looking to make it a bit simpler. The unit is capable of a lot of features I don't particularly need use of for at this time. Any advise on the more basic aspects of this unit. If anyone would like to explain to me like I'm a 5 year old, I won't take any offense to it. Thanks

Offline nickcarr3151

• Bellevue, WA
  • The only easy day was yesterday...
    • View Profile
Re: NanoVNA for dummies
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 1956 UTC »
It's not the best device for that. :)

Your best bet is probably on YouTube.  There are many videos -- just search for 'nanovna' and you'll find quite a few.  A couple have complete a walk-through of the device, etc.

I can recommend the RigExpert analyzers.  They're on Amazon and you can also find them at any ham radio store.  They're not cheap however.  HF model is $250-ish and the AA-600 (which covers DC-600 Mhz) is about $600.  Sometimes you can find them used on E-Bay for a good price.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 2000 UTC by nickcarr3151 »
Perseus SDR + Wellbrook ALA100LN (60m loop), Wellbrook 1530S+
ICOM 7000 + Zero-Five 10/40 GP Vertical
Xiegu G90
Motorola XPR/XTS Portables, Uniden scanners, Whistler Scanners
Airspy Mini SDR + DSDPlus + Diamond D3000N Discone

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 2125 UTC »
I have a RigExpert Zero which is a bit less expensive at $79. No display and you need to put it in your own case, but hey if you're cheap like me...  :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077B9D18K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_detailpage_o00_s01?tag=blackcatsyste-20

More info: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,49903.0.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 2138 UTC »
Got my NanoVNA today. Haven't had time to play with it yet, but here's a video on how to use it to measure SWR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_drx7ORUDWI

PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 2141 UTC »
I found that running the software NanoVNA Saver was a big help in simplifying the use of this device. Not a big fan of tiny touch screens even though my eyesight is very good. You can customize the plots on the screen and enter frequency limits easier.

https://github.com/mihtjel/nanovna-saver/releases/tag/v0.2.2
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline nickcarr3151

• Bellevue, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 2255 UTC »
FWIW, this is a pretty good deal.  FYI, the SARK100 has shown to be a less accurate when compared to RigExpert (and other) analyzers.  The accuracy difference is still within tolerances and shouldn't stop someone from buying it.  The cost difference is pretty substantial. 

https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Analyzer-1-60MHz-Shortwave-Measurement/dp/B07PGVDGL2

Xiegu G90

Matt285

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 2259 UTC »
Yes. I've seen some of the videos where the software interface is being used. I imagine it would be easier. There may even be some drop down help functions as well.

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 0034 UTC »
I don't have any experience with the nanoVNA but working from general VNA principles you can:
1) connect your antenna to port 1 and then measure S11 or
2) connect the antenna to port 2 and measure S22.

The two would be equivalent in this case. Just don't connect your antenna to port 1 and try to measure S22. That's not right.

The lower the result (more negative) in return loss, the better.

Here is a conversion chart between return loss and VSWR (ignore the negative sign in the return loss you read from the VNA): https://www.amphenolrf.com/vswr-conversion-chart/
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Matt285

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 0113 UTC »
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm certain its a good product for the price,. I just need to figure out how to simplify it a bit. In the right hands im sure its very useful. I currently don't have those hands.

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 1010 UTC »
If EXACT accuracy is not required at this time, then don't worry about calibrating it yet. The unit comes calibrated across the entire range of the VNA.
I assume you do have the required adapters to connect your antenna.
Connect antenna to CH0.

Go to the menu
Select DISPLAY. Select TRACE and turn off all traces except trace 1.
In the menu, select STIMULUS and set the START frequency of the range you want to measure. For example, if you want to adjust your aerial for 440 Mhz, set the START at 400M. Repeat for STOP. Say, 500M.
If you want, you can calibrate it now and save it as a preset.
Back in the menu, select DISPLAY-FORMAT and SWR.
Use the switch at the top to move the marker to the bottom of the SWR curve to read the SWR ratio.

That's it.
You can narrow the range if required.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 1016 UTC by Brian »

Matt285

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 2254 UTC »
Thanks a lot Brian. That sounds pretty straight forward. I left the unit in my office at work. I will try to do some test tomorrow with an HT antenna and a 2M mag mount . I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 2346 UTC »
I will try to do some test tomorrow with an HT antenna and a 2M mag mount .

If you are uninitiated to this sort of thing, you might be surprised at how much the VSWR/return loss/input impedance changes as your hands and body get close to the antenna, how it changes as you take the antenna off the car and then put it back on again, or as you move the antenna location, etc.

Also, you may be surprised to know that HT antennas and mobile whips are not perfect loads and the impedance changes a lot between 144 and 148 MHz.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline nickcarr3151

• Bellevue, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 0026 UTC »
Yep with portable antennas they can be quite funny.  For ideal results you need to hold it away from your body and make sure the rubber duck is vertical (to simulate real world use.)

Of all the two-way radio antennas I've tested, only a handful are constructed/designed well -- and that actually have usable SWR values for their assigned band.
Xiegu G90

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns